Welcome to the forum

National Youth Omniums R1 LVVP 23 April 2-16

edited April 2016 in General
Race Reports from the National Youth Omniums held on Saturday 23 April at LVVP kindly provided by Adam Lightfoot and Archie Bracewell. Photos to follow:-

Adam Lightfoot:

On Saturday 23rd April, myself, Sophie Lewis and Archie Bracewell from CC Ashwell attended the 1st round of the London region youth track omnium, hosted at the London Olympic velodrome. The omnium is a series of 5 track events comprising a 4 lap (1km) solo time trial, elimination (about 60laps!), scratch race (20 laps), Keirin (race behind a motor bike called a derny), and a Points race.

It was a long day, with racing starting at 1pm, and we didn’t finish until 7. I was pleased with how my races unfolded, especially in the Elimination race, where I managed to finish 4th. Although I was not necessarily the 4th strongest rider I managed to ride in a very tactical way which allowed me to get a slight advantage over those who were constantly fighting to not be eliminated. I did this by sheltering behind the lead rider and rarely going on the front. This tactic paid off as I knew the rider in front was quite strong, meaning I was unlikely to being eliminated. The last lap was a sprint between me & 3 VC Londres riders. At the end of the day I was beaten fair & square, but I would not even have got that far if I hadn’t thought twice about my positioning and tactics in the race.
Overall, I was pleased with this result and am looking forward to racing the 2nd round in Welwyn.

By Archie Bracewell:-

This was my very first time racing on an indoor velodrome I had attended sessions in Derby and Manchester but they are all diferent to ride on. The first time I got to ride on the track was for my first race which was the TT.

I was the youngest racing and I had a mixture of nerves and excitement, I had raced the youth omniums last year as an U10 at Welwyn and Herne Hill so I kind of knew what to expect and the standard of the riders was going to be high. I’m a 1st year U12 so I wanted to get as much experience as possible.

I had a good warm up plan in place and had practiced my TT starts before the race with Sophie Bruton, and I’m really glad that I had this time with her. We got the countdown beeps which I had heard a few weeks before at the worlds so that was very exciting!!!

I got a good start and my time placed me 14th out of 22 riders I was only 5 seconds off the lead time so I was really pleased with this. I was third out in the elimination race which I was disappointed with but I really need more experience riding in such a large bunch. I felt I had the speed and the stamina to do better but my lack of confidence lost me places.
I found a little more confidence during the 10 lap scratch race and managed to pick 3 riders off on the line which was great fun! I also loved riding with the derny again I felt disappointed though as I felt I could have won my heat, however I chose to ride higher above the line than the other boys so only finished third.

It was a day of highs and lows – I know I could have done better in some races but my confidence of riding in a bunch let me down, I spoke with Sophie Bruton after and she said I should have been proud of what I had achieved that day - we now know what we have to work on and I’m looking forward to that challenge.

I loved representing my club at a higher level competition and I wished that I could have done it all over again on the Sunday taking my experience from Saturday – even though my legs were sore!

Thank you to Steve, Adam, Sophie L, Sophie B and Claire L for helping me (and Mum) so much during the day. I would say to anyone wanting to do the Youth Omniums to go and watch and see what its about as it can be quite different to anything else.

Archie

Comments

• Thanks for the write up lads, enjoyed reading that and sounds like you all did really well. Fab!