Welcome to the forum

Chain gang 3rd May 2016

edited May 2016 in Chain gangs
Should be around steeple Morden to meet those leaving Ashwell at 7.30pm

Let's single out in litlington for the speed bumps.

Interested to see how the better weather affects everything....

Off to Club night after.

Comments

• I'll try and jump on somwhere between steeple and bassingbourn
  • Hoping to be there! / club night

Have had 4 days off everything as a rest, going to do an easy hour in the gym in the morning before getting smashed at 7.30!
  • Good times in good weather yesterday at the chain gang. Maybe a dozen riders? Good, attentive riding. All held together til nearer Bassingbourn, then started to splinter. No bad thing as I think it just created a second group.

About 8 riders made the front group, lap 1, 23.4mph. The group splintered again after Litlington on lap 2, creating another group.

I managed to hold on white-knuckle styley to Charlie's and new member Chris's wheels, only able half a dozen turns on the front for lap 2 at 25.0mph. It's great to ride with such top quality riders. That's what chain gangs bring.

Couple of bits of general advice...

Singling out in Litlington for the speed bumps: with lots of riders, it's best to not hang around doing this.

Strong riders take note: ease back when rotating into the slow line to keep the chain moving. Don't keep on the gas, as it stops the rotation and burns the matches of other rider on the front.

Nice to catch up after in the pub/Club night.

Great stuff!
  • edited May 2016
    Ouch!! that was fierce.

I got a PR for the whole of lap 1 on Strava

10 or 11 out I think. But it got broken up all around the course.
    Could do with a few more people to have 2 distinct groups so they can keep it together a bit more or for longer. Would agree with Martins comments about the rotations.

Thanks to James and Ed for helping make it to the Shingay turn on lap 2 from Littlington

Stuart
  • A few people saying starting out with two groups a good idea. Something to try if turnout good again.
  • I told my mum I got beaten up by the big boys!

Thanks for that though, it was an experience. I knew my cycling legs weren't good, but it's given me something to work on & I'll be back in a few weeks for another go & I'll try to hang on for a bit longer!

I called it a day after 1 lap, so hopefully I'll be able to set a course pb at the TT tonight.
  • Really good, thanks

Good, consistent speed and mostly tight riding
  • Bonkers fast. Something to aim towards!