Welcome to the forum

Letchworth Grand Prix Sunday 26th June - HELP NEEDED URGENT UPDATE

edited June 2016 in General
Those of you who attended this event last year will remember what an outstanding success it was, and one for which we received praise for the club from far and wide. Some parents of youth riders were commenting to me that it was the best event they'd attended all year. This year we aim to make it even better, and to do this we again need the help of our fantastic members, without whom, we would not be able to stage the event.

The timetable this year is slightly different with proceedings running from 10am to 6pm. We have decided that the process of three shifts overly complicated things last year and have opted for two shifts of four hours each. I know this may seem like a long time to be standing around but it really does make things easier to organise and reduces the number of marshalls we need. This worked at the cyclocross event last year so all things considered it is the right option.

To ease things we will be able to provide marshalls with a small packed lunch and will hopefully have a floating marshall, (probably me), to cover whilst toilet breaks are taken. Hopefully we'll also have radios so this can be organised.

I have set a doodle poll up on this link so please put yourself forward to make this event happen.

Volunteer here

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Thanks for those who have already volunteered. Unfortunately I put the wrong times on the poll, the afternoon slot was showing 2-4 instead of 2-6. For those who have already volunteered and can't do 2-6 please let me know. Thanks
  • edited May 2016
    Down for the afternoon but if I get a new bike I might dabble in the newbies, whenever that is
  • Bringing this to the top with just under two weeks to go. We are still a fair bit short of volunteers needed to run this event, especially in the morning.

Please sign up on the doodle poll above if you can help.

Steve Kirtland-you have offered to help on another thread, which shift would you like to do, early 10-2 or late 2-6. let me know please and I will add you to the poll. Thanks
  • Judith will do signing on in the afternoon if you are looking for a volunteer for that - let me know and I'll add her to the doodle.
  • Yes please Andrew, that would be great. Thanks.
  • At present as a club we have not been able to muster enough volunteers for us to safely run this event. Currently once other roles such as judging, sign on and gear checking have been taken in to consideration we have only 5 marshals for each shift. This is nowhere near enough for a course of this size in a busy town centre.

Fortunately for us we have been given the help of 7 marshals from Hertfordshire County Council who will be volunteering the whole day.

What we urgently need now is four or five volunteers who will cover lunch breaks for these people who will be spending the full eight hours marshalling. Please could you post on here if you can volunteer for a couple of hours around lunchtime.

We also could do with help setting up before 10 and breaking down after 6, so if you are unable to help during the event but would like to contribute in some way, again please could you post on this thread any time you can give.
  • Depends on my start time at the interclub 30, but should be about at lunchtime for a couple of hours so can help out then.
  • Dave, I can now help Sunday. The morning for setup and lunch time for sure but may need to leave by 4pm. Let me know what time and where to meet.
  • Dave - I can help too. Morning and lunch time preferred.

Pete
  • GWDGWD
    edited June 2016
    Like Will, I hope I can help to cover lunchtime

Gareth
  • Hi Will! I will turn up at some point for ad hoc duties as you require! Not sure what time as I have a thing in the morning, but I will be there to help, probably to clean up etc.
  • book me in for the whole day (certainly the morning and both marshalling)

N
  • edited June 2016
    Hi team. Hard to be exact on my timing - sorry - but happy to help out either side of the 4th Cat bun fight [11.55am] and the Kid's Go-Races. I guess 10am til towards the end of the day.
  • I'm in for the morning session, can manage a bit of the afternoon too, but will need to leave about three at the latest.
  • edited June 2016
    Thanks for all the offers of help.

Richard - Come down as early as you can from about 8.30ish to help with set up. Look for myself or Jamie and we'll find you something to do. That goes for anyone else who can help with set up EDIT - Just learnt that people will be on site from 7.00am for set up so if you can make it that early then all the better.

Will, Pete, Gareth, Richard and Martin - I'll put you on the lunch cover team. I will stagger these from 12.30 to 3.00, with the earlier breaks covered by those who have been there since the morning and the later ones by the TTers and racers.

Andy - I'll add you to the clear up list and any late duties

Nathaniel - I have you down for the afternoon already so will change you to an all day and schedule you in for a lunch break.

We may need someone to ad hoc cover the gear checking for the youth riders in the afternoon, so may ask one of you to cover that when needed.

I think we have enough volunteers now with this late push. Of course we can never have enough for the course set up and break down as the more there is for that then the quicker it gets done.
  • Hi, I will be available to help out in the afternoon, 2 til 6.
  • Just a quick message for those who may have not received the Marshalls Briefing Pack or my email.

Could all marshalls who are down for the morning please meet by the event control tent at 9.40 and those in the afternoon meet in the same place at 1.40.

I think I'm only missing Steve M and Brendon Ronayne off my email list so if you could please send me a private message with your email addresses I'll send them over to you.

Thanks
  • Hi all

Further to David's note above and to make things quicker, easier; here is a download link to the marshal's pack, along with Dave's covering note. Both as PDFs. ta;

https://we.tl/mpGCR75Amb