Welcome to the forum

Sunday 3rd January Ride

edited January 2010 in Club runs
well.........a good morning to all who turned up and a happy new year...........as it turned out a little confusion at the start at the fork before the Mordens and the "club" ride went left and the rest eventually got it together and went right.........as most were of the faster middle persuasion we decided to head to Barrington, Barton, Comberton, then split back or on to Madingly,Oakington, and then back via Boxworth Gransden. Either 40 miles or 60 miles.........sadly for me it was neither.I felt a twinge in the left leg and decided to spin back from Barrington......at the bottom of the hill a spoke broke so decision made for me with a wonky wheel.........unbelievably 100 yards after the split with the group my chain snapped big time and I cracked my knee and other parts.......first ride in years I was without my chainlink remover.so even with a spare link I was stuffed.......A big thank you to Strappy who rode with me and had a phone...left mine at home..DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......looking at chain I found more fractured links so would have gone again I'm sure...rang Ann for lift..........hope you made it back O.K. Tony........

so lessons for the year..........remember chainlink tool and phone.......have a spare spoke.........CHECK your chains everyone........you never know, it could be you next time. I was genuinely surprised at the number of fractures.

happy cycling......how were the other rides..........Oh, and well done Phil..6th place at Hillingdon yesterday and Josh...now cat 3 riding against the seniors after 3 races at Hillingdon..too many points so no longer a cat 4.........

Comments

• Club run of 6 ( took left fork )
    To cambridge and back via Wimpole / Barton
    carefull ride / no issues and all back together

Well Done Josh for cat 3
    Better luck to geoff for rest of year

Cold at start
    Will phone a few about 09.30 start next week for club run
    We did last year for Jan / Feb
    state of roads - I think we should consider it
    Always leave the medium group at 9am as go further
    Will post tomorrow on outcome

Tues night at the Rose ( first tues ) as normal

Safe riding to you all

James
  • edited January 2010
    Yes. We went on for nearly 60m. Best ride OF the year!
  • Hi Robbie

Glad your ride went O.K....as planned...was nice day for a ride if a bit on the cold side....see all next Sunday at 9.30am.....see James' entry for 10th ........

am at Hillingdon next Sat. so hoping for warmer,dry weather.
  • geoff
    glad you got back ok i took the cambridge rd & thru the shingay/wendy etc got home in good time to do my now usaul chores.
    done 48 miles only but having not been out for 2 weeks also bad back ache that was fine with me,i will go & buy a chain tool and
    spare links asap.still was good to get out although my fitness built up in the summer has all but gone ahh well back the hoovering
    see you next week.
    strappy.