Welcome to the forum

17th May chaingang

7.30 depart Ashwell Tuns and sweep up those in Steeple just after the Littington turn. Usual thing.
Get organised on way to Steeple. 20-22mph group, and the 22plus group. Please gauge each group and strongest riders try not to burn off the rest. It should be an intense work out but bringing as many along as possible to take their turn. It is difficult if the fitness levels are not relatively well matched of course but a little consideration goes a long way.
If you are being battered. Suck the wheels at the back and shout last so the rider ahead knows to go through. Keep close and slip stream or you will be cast adrift.
That's chaingang.

Comments

• Hope to be there .
  • Good plan Vince. If numbers low: stick as one group and let the strongest riders do more turns.

Me, Robbie and James D hoping to be there. Tim D will if he can.

Weather forecast good. Sunset 8.52pm. 3 laps? Lights always a good idea.
  • 12 out. Stayed as one group. Everyone seemed pretty happy at the smoothness in general. Quite heavy traffic at times: but we were very good at managing it. We were put to the test on the speed bumps in Litlington and passed it with flying colours: good riding.

We were treated to a Shelton shaped support car on lap 3. Got a bit dark at the end there, but we are now in the magical 8 week or so time of year for lightness. Good fun, great exercise.

Lap 1: 23.6mph
    Lap 2: 23.2mph
    Lap 3: 24.0mph
  • Whoo that was fun! Really tight group just the right pace and flowed well!
  • cheers everyone - good ride and lovely evening for it.
  • Great fun. Thanks for looking out for me. Ed (Newish chap in glasses)
  • Good controlled riding tonight. Quite relieved to have made it round three laps. I definitely wheel sucked.
    For those that didn't quite make it please come back but if you feel tired suck the last wheel and call next to the rider in front, but you must stay tight to benefit from the tow. No point coming through until you feel ready or strong enough to last. Conserve energy and build up your fitness. So long as four or five are working nicely at the front you should avoid too much abuse for not coming through. Keep at it and your fitness will improve rapidly on the chain gang.
    Thank to the fast guys for keeping it controlled and not totally smashing it apart.
    I hope everyone got a good work out.
  • Yeah good that, nice to get 3 laps in and i thought the last one was a bit quick, struggled a bit there.
    Just got to watch the entrance to Bassingbourn and be ready to give way. We dont have right of way and forcing the oncoming traffic to yield makes us look bad.
  • Good point Tim. I'd forgotten about that moment - and we were a bit sketchy getting around that big removal van in Steeple. Safety first, and consider the whole group in getting around tight points on the road.

Also, I'd suggest if riders want a steadier group - to Vince's suggestion around 20-22mph - I think it's a great idea. It probably needs a bit of planning beforehand though as it seems the general turn out so far want to push beyond that. If you want a steady group: I'd make it known on the forum. I have a feeling people have the appetite for a steady group but are holding back, unsure whether others will be there who want one too. Just a thought. As with all the Club stuff: it probably needs someone to champion to get going.
  • Thanks all really enjoyed that. I got a PR on Strava for that first lap. The last lap which I did about half although only less than 1mph faster felt very quick. I had always planned to just get back to my car in Bassingbourn but went to Shingay then warm down back. Don't know how these road race boys keep those averages up for 50+ miles. I had an overall average of 20.5 for the 34 miles I got in.

Would agree with Tim and Martin about those 2 points. I know I was guilty of going through at Bassingbourn. We have to know that as a group we could and should have to stop here. Good that we took the time to re group and keep it together on the hill. The chain gang is much better as a gang if even if you can't always take your turn.