Welcome to the forum

Open TTs

I did a few mid week TTs last year and really enjoyed them and during the summer it was great to see my times improve. I have done 2 Open TTs before I joined the club under a previous Tri club.

Are there any particular Open TTs that folks enter? There seems to be so many when I check out the TT website.

Gareth

Comments

• Anything on the F14/25! For the faster ones, the E2 is a good course, only if you don't mind dual carriageways with lots of traffic...
  • Thanks Will. We've signed up to a race on b10/1 in a few weeks as a tester.
  • Gareth - if you get on the CTT website you can locate a course you want to ride and see the events being run on it this year.

For now I am in on the following which are all within 30mins of home.

Hitchin Nomads F14/25 next weekend

Hemel Hempstead F11/10 near Tring on 18 June

Shaftesbury MM E2/25 which is on 4 June

Finally Beds Road F15/10 Brogborough on 31 May

Don't forget the interclub series as well the 15 is mid June

Enjoy the planning:)
  • Thanks for these James, I've been looking at which to book and it would be good to see some club mates there.
    Is it me, or is the booking system for the inter-club really complicated?
  • Thanks James. I'll look them up tomorrow.

So far, we've both entered:

5th June Ely & District C.C. 10miles – B10/1R
    25th June 25 miles - E2/25
  • I've booked for E2/25
  • The Interclub booking system is through the Beds Road website and is fairly straightforward but probably appears difficult because you can't book events until fairly close to the date of it.

Look out for an announcement from JMac or keep checking the BRRC site.
  • yes, I did try and look for them.

We've also entered the Letchworth crit, but not sure my fitness will be back by then.
  • Found out today I'm unlikely to get in E2/25 as you need to have posted a 55 min.
  • I didn't realise there was a Q time. I've only done one 25m a few years back on my road bike which was closer to 1:10.
  • Me either until after I'd signed up. E2 is a popular course as its so fast. Team Cambridge have their 25 at Madingley on the Wednesday before, so I'll assume that to be my 'A' race that week!

Talking of opens, Justin follows my good friend Robert Golding off next week on the same course. Be good for the blue top to flash past him coz I've never managed it!!!! GO JUSTIN!!
  • No qualifying times as such. Under CTT Rules and Regs selection of entrants is by fastest performance recorded during the current and past 3 years at the relevant distance. The popularity of fast (standard distance) courses means they are regularly oversubscribed and riders with slower times will be unlikely to get a ride.

Occasionally organisers will run events on these courses specifically for riders "slower than" a particular time.
  • Thanks James.

Not heard anything yet
  • Just seen that theres a "middlemarkers" event on the E2/25 coming up on the 4th of June... If your PB is faster than 57 mins you can't enter. Might be of interest to some, and a guaranteed ride for others...

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/11844

Entry closes 24th May.
  • Oh interesting, having never ridden one before, what are dual carriageway (specifically this one!) courses like? Very tempted
  • Fast and smooth. The E2 is often a bit breezy though from the sides which can effect how fast the course is. Have a go and see what you think! You basically come off a slip road onto the dual carriageway, stay to the left till the turn, then come back the other way. Pretty simple, best to make yourself familiar with which junction the turn is at though. Riding on a dual carriageway is as you'd expect. Make sure you've got a very bright back light...
  • Yes thanks wil, I've booked that one already.
    Chris, the lanes are actually very wide, so it's not as scary as you may think. I always calm down when I've been on the main carriageway over a minute as you know by then motorists are already aware there are cyclists on the road by the time they reach you.
  • Well, entered, lets see how we do, now to get a skinsuit and a decent rear light. Thanks chaps
  • Now here's a thing - Fancy an evening ride in Hull on the A63 - V718 course - Event details below.

team swift (counts out Cam then) (slower than 21.30 but faster than 24.00 lts)( 90 riders)

Starts at 7:00pm so I am going to take a half day and drive up in the afternoon if my entry gets accepted....

its a bucket list kinda ting
  • Message to John Polak: "Does James need help?"
  • Thanks Will. We've entered that race but I'm not expecting much. Still too soon but nice to be able to do something.
  • Sorry - have to 'share' this just for you DD - it's a forum thread about shoe covers ....

I asked Boris Onishchenko about this, he says, "If they smooth the airflow enough to compensate for the increase in area they could possibly decrease drag, but without a wind tunnel and testing them over your shoes on your bike at various yaws you won't have any idea if they decrease or increase drag. You would do better to gaffa tape over any rough edges on your shoes and remove your socks and squeeze your feet into a size smaller shoe."

Yep officially lost it :)
  • we've just received acceptance for the "middlemarkers" event on the E2/25 on the 4th of June and b10/1 on the 05th June.
  • Im also in on the E2/25
  • Hiya,
    Not sure how many ACC riders were out yesterday on the Hitchin Nomads Open TT but I thought they would like access to the photos I grabbed:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.835708429897442.1073741839.742661649202121&type=1&l=e755fceec6
    Michael
  • ChrisP, I've just realised it was you I was talking to today. Well, for a first ride, that was pretty awesome, well done mate. How did you find it (other than fast!)
  • Hi Kevin, great to meet you. Yeah hasnt really sunk in it would be that quick. Once i got to the start it was fine, like any other TT, it was much louder than I anticipated. I held back slightly to the turn expecting a heavier headwind back. Turns out i didnt have much more to give after 3 days in Wales riding. Not optimal prep..but that time should get me in plenty of TT's to come! Now to get training some more!

How did you fare?
  • I was entered into the MM E25 event and DNS-apol after driving to the event. Took the decision that it was just too dangerous to ride on the A11 and A14 with the volume of traffic yesterday afternoon. Driving to and from the event seeing lone cyclists doing battle with returning holiday makers and trucks was simply scary. Or maybe I'm getting too old for this malarkey.

Glad to hear of some excellent CCA performances yesterday.
  • I know just how you feel Jeremy ...
  • According to the provisional results from yesterday, Tom & Chris got 1st & 2nd overall.

Ashwell CC was second in the team event (sorry I was 2 mins too slow to support Tom & Chris)

Janet & I got 2 & 3rd improves. Which I'm personally very pleased with considering my recent & not so recent health issues.

Struggled at today's 10m in Ely.