Welcome to the forum

5 counties, 5 peaks challenge June 18th 2016 - 9am start !!

edited June 2016 in Club runs
Just a heads-up for the 5 counties, 5 peaks challenge - easily the hardest ride I did last year but def a CCA classic in the making.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/715403507

109 miles, 6000ft climbing, killer drag to Langley at the end !! Starts at Hitchin train station, finishes at Royston. Stops at cafe in Wendover, mine in Baldock and Fox/Duck or Royston at the end. Club run pace, but a pretty long day in the saddle.

Let me know if you are interested.........

Comments

• Yep count me in, this was a brilliant ride last year. Happy to do end of ride refreshments at mine again if you like.
  • Yep I'm interested and hopefully can make it
  • Nope can't make it this year. We will be in Norfolk for No.3 son's 30th.
  • Interested, cheers
  • edited June 2016
    OK, here are the details for this Saturday's 5 peaks extravaganza

As with last year, we will start a touch earlier than the club runs so start time: 9am at Hitchin railway station car park.

Trains times to get you there are:
    8.44 Royston
    8.52 Baldock
    8.55 Letchworth

Here is the route in Mapmyride. I'll try and do a garmin version in the next couple of days if that's easier to upload. If a few people can upload it into their devices that would be great

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/715403507

Details of the peaks on route are
    Bedfordshire 243m/797ft Dunstable Downs
    Buckinghamshire 267m/875ft Haddington Hill
    Hertfordshire 244m/800ft NE shoulder of Pavis Wood
    Cambridgeshire 146m/479ft Great Chishill
    Essex 147m/482ft Chrishall Common

Lastly, to help myself and Tim do the catering for the stops in Baldock and Royston can you add your name to the post if you are coming along. So far we have got:

myself
    Emma
    TimA
    MarkW
    DomB
    Nat

See you Sat, should be an epic day out :awesome:
  • I'm in. Not sure it'll be the best training for a 10k run on Sunday!
  • Any reason why it finishes at royston? I might turn off at therfield and head back to ashwell
  • Two reasons for the finish in Royston

1. It's downhill to a train station, which is just what you need after 115 miles and 6000ft of climbing!
    2. Lifesaving pizza at Tim's house :awesome:
  • not going to make this one. Have fun. Enjoy Tim's legendary life saving pizza
  • I think David and Emma's pasta and cakes are actually more life-saving - without those we wouldn't actually make it to Royston!
  • We're riding 100 odd miles saturday (weather permitting ;))...
    My friend Jimmy is riding 500 miles round the north coast of Scotland on Saturday - http://www.rideforcharlene.com/ - hoping to challenge Mark Beaumonts' time of 38 hours. He's ex-pro, now DS for one pro cycling... The real deal... check out the video on his site to see what it's all about
  • I'm in, so's Dave. I keep forgetting just how hard this was last year, the memory has been blurred by the joy of Guinness cake and pizza. Of course, I'll try not to get lost and do the extra five miles and couple of hills this year!
  • I'm up for this, although I'll have to turn towards Arlesey at somewhere around Baldock.
  • I'm in too - despite the last minute doubts...
  • edited June 2016
  • Sorry guys, not able to make it this year. Hope you have a great day and weather stays kind to you!
  • sorry but not sure I can make a full day out on the bike.
  • Thanks David and Emma for a great ride today. Thank you for the excellent food as well.

Mark.
  • Thanks all for a fantastic day. Special thanks to David and Emma for refreshments at 80 miles (the legendary Guiness cake lived up to its reputation!!) and Tim for the best hot pizza and cold beer at the finish!!
    Tom
  • Eleven peak seakers set of yesterday for an epic challenge. Must have been a huge storm on Friday night around Luton as the roads at the start were full of massive puddles and were grit and gravel strewn. Bedfordshire was ticked off and conditions improved as we went further west. There was even a glimpse of sunshine on the outskirts of Tring. After a quick refuel at the excellent Wendover cafe (Bucks) we ticked off Herts and headed back across the M1, and onto more familiar roads. We said goodbye to Mike and Nat in Baldock, and after more refuelling at mine we pushed on for the grind up to Chishill (Cambs) and finally to the top of Essex. All that was left then was a (mostly) downhill tilt to the finish in Royston.

So final stats were 108 miles & 6600ft of climbing - not bad for supposedly flat East Anglia!

Thanks to all for a brilliant day out and huge thanks to Tim for the amazing pizza and beers at the end of the ride. Still thinking we should maybe try 6 counties next year........
  • I think we need to be more ambitious next year. How about 5 countries in one day?

It is possible, going from southern Holland into Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg and then France. There is some lovely cycling round there.

Unfortunately the logistics would be quite a challenge as it would have to be place to place rather than circular. There is a route here: https://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3394198-5-countries-in-one-day/#/z9/50.33406,5.85159/terrain