Welcome to the forum

Three Peaks Cyclcoross Race

Entries open today. I've entered, anyone else thinking about it?

Comments

• I've entered. Now keeping everything crossed that we get in...
  • Entering is certainly not a done deal. I have entered 3 times and only got in once. From memoiry only about 600 places. Daniel is our resident expert.
  • Yes, I should say I've applied to enter the lottery. I've been unsuccessful before too. Hopefully I'll get lucky this time.
  • Ive entered too. Not quite sure if i can actually do it and am away for nearly a month in the lead up to it, but will see what the ballot throws up!
  • I'm in! Anyone else?
  • got an email saying that invites had been sent out and havent had an invite so guess im not in....boo.
  • Tim sorry to hear, but on the good side you can now get in on the Belgium trip!?
  • No invite for me :(
  • Just had an invite email, so I'm now in! :). I better start the training now...
  • Well done Richard. That happened to me. Guess they have people drop out and you were close to the top of the reserve list? Be afraid.
    Tim I think you should keep yourself prepared so not to many burgers and beers over this next few weeks :-)
  • Well done Richard and im sure Dave will be pleased to have a team mate. Yeah, im really hoping i am well down the list now, do not want selection!
  • Lots going on in the club at the moment with Belgium and end/start of season racing.
    Three Peaks CX this weekend.
    Best wishes to Dave, Daniel and Richard who are riding in CCA colours.
    Look forward to the reading about it next week.
  • Was going to do the same Jeremy having just seen this on the calendar.
    Weather not looking great up north this weekend :-(

Good luck
  • Thanks for the good wishes. Strange time now; nothing more to do but the nausia of self doubt is there in the background. It's like being gridded for 3 whole days!

I will look at the weather forecast later on...
  • Best of luck!!!
  • More rain than forecast, especially before the start. Great rides from Dave, 4:41, (despite forgetting his shoes) and Richard, 5:36. Dave did this despite crashing out at the cattle grid at Chapel le Dale. I also crashed at this point but sadly had to drive myself to Airedale A&E to get my cut eyebrow glued up. I am absolutely fine, expect for a bruised face and various grazes. Naturally I am disappointed but I guess that is bike racing!
  • Daniel, sorry to hear about the off. Sue said you were looking strong at Cold Cotes so we were concerned when we checked the results on the way home. Glad to hear its a mere flesh wound. I too nearly had an off there... I saved my big off for on the way down PenyGhent where I went over the handle bars and the fence and landed on barbed wire. Luckily 4 walkers un picked me and lifted me off and I only had a few ripped clothes and minor cuts :)

The race was fantastic, painfully hard on the trunges up but great fun on whats seems unridable at first on the way down. I really struggled on the way down from Inglebourgh not riding as much as in hindsight I think I could have. On Whernside it seemed to click and I started riding far more of the steep rocky stuff, going down PenyGhent I was dare I say actually going fast.
    And thanks Daniel I was so glad taking you advice and having a 36 rear as I got all the way up the PenyGhent cobbles.
    My race number was 535 and my finish time was 5hours 35 minutes 38 seconds. Next year I'm aiming for race number 459 or lower...
  • Unlucky Daniel. That corner/cattle grid was treacherous in the wet. A rider had crashed in front of me and was prone on the floor so I had to change my line, mid grid, resulting in me hitting the deck. Fortunately for me just a bit of road rash on the hip.

My first go at this so very pleased to finish and get a time ahead of what I'd targeted. The whole event was insanely brilliant, completely unique and I can easily see how you can become addicted to it. Fantastic camaraderie amongst the riders, summed up by the complete stranger lending me a pair of shoes after leaving mine at our campsite. Great support all around the course, one lady had taken a tupperware full of jelly babies all the way up Pen-y-Ghent in the wind and rain and was giving them out to riders as they passed.

A lot of rain the night before made the ground very boggy. Coupled with a few hard showers and persistent strong winds, this made for tricky riding conditions especially on the summits. I felt strong walking on the ascents, underpaced on the road sections and terrified on, whilst strangely enjoying, the descents. A lot learnt for future editions, plenty of time to be made up on the descents, disc brakes would definitely help in this respect. My cantis weren't really up to the job in the wet. Back to tearing round a field for 40 minutes next week!
  • Sounds eventful! Well done to all of you thats some really good times and looking forward to seing the war wounds Daniel
  • Hope you are not feeling too bruised and battered Daniel - it is such a tough race - well done for going for it yet again - certainly not for the faint hearted

Jackie