Welcome to the forum

Chiltern 100 (6 June)

RGGRGG
edited January 2010 in Sportives
I've decided to have a go at a Sportive this year and chosen the Chiltern 100. Its pretty close, which for me is the main pull. May be next year I’ll venture a little further. There’s 3 courses, (107/70/54mile) so I’ve gone for the middle distance 70miles.
Let me know if you’ve done this one, what you think, or if anyone else is going.

http://www.chiltern-hundred.org.uk/

Comments

• tempted by this one too... used to live round that area and would be nice to return on a bike,
    plus carmello always saying how good the riding is around dunstable downs.
    very tempting...
  • i'm in :-)
  • finally got round to signing up today. signed up to the gran fondo 107 mile route.
  • Im in for the 107 mile route!!!
  • cool, we have a team then!

Martin? Robbie? Daniel? must be up your street this one?
  • my mate paul from derby doing it too. with a couple more we could have a decent team.
    start is only about an hour away in sunday morning traffic i think so easily accessible
  • I've signed up for the gran fondo 107m route - will be my first ever sportive!
  • Already doing two things this weekend, Dragon Ride and being on Skye. There is a geographic anomoly here, which I am fully aware of.
  • I have just entered the gran fondo.

Looking at the route profile it seems this will be a good challenge with climbs all the way through to the end of the route. With the CCA riders accumulating on the entry list I am sure we will be able to get around in a few good sized groups.
  • edited April 2010
    Looking at the date... looking too tight to a half ironman the following week in wales. Possibly...
  • signing up tonight!
  • GRRRRR! on waiting list for gran fondo
  • I'm booked on the gran fondo but cannot now make it, so if another club member wants to transfer my place please contact me by e mail to arrange mark@aacbs.co.uk
  • Place gone!
  • A big thanks to Mark, now then a silver should be achievable with work!
  • Possible spare ticket for Gran Fondo:

http://www.ccaforum.co.uk/comments.php?DiscussionID=754&page=1#Item_0
  • The guy who organises this happens to be a contractor through my company and dropped me an email commenting on how many CCA members are in the race. He is entering us as a Team :-) and will also sort a piccie out at the start of the race if we want, so best CCA kit on please!!
  • Would anyone like my place on Gran Fondo? The transfer needs to be made by tomorrow.
    Contact tdhipwell@aol.com.
  • Yes Please tomh I would like place if available.
  • that makes 8 of you I think....good luck guys..a CCA team....seems we are getting there
  • Can I get a CCA short sleeve or sleeveless Triathlon style top in XL on Tuesday 1st June pub night or anytime before the 5th June?

I've only got a Roubaix long sleeve CCA top at present and that will probably be to hot.
  • Guys, as per previous blog, if we want a 'team photo' before the start for our website then may I suggest that we meet at the start, ready to go, at 8:15?

Alex, I'm guessing you will be aiming for a 'gold' standard??? Eddie - the organisor - has recommended that you set off about 8:15 and that should give you plenty of markers ahead to chase. I will obviously be cheering you on from a long way back!!!
  • RGG - I have sold out of XL ss tops, I have an XXL I think, will have to double check.
  • I'll have a go with an L or XXL. Failing that, Blue and white bodypaint anyone?
  • I only have Small or XXL :(
  • Small... lol, ok I'll try XXL, though I was planning to slim down not fatten up! Got any XL shorts?
  • nope, I have a large delivery arriving second week in June. Should have most of what you want then
  • Ok, thanks anyway.
  • Does anyone know what is the earliest we can start for this event?

On my ride last weekend I started 2.5 hours late. That meant spending the entire ride overtaking riders, some of which did not have any road manners or sense. I got stuck several times and had to overtake cars which were stuck behind groups. I would suggest starting early to avoid this problem.

What is the gold time? It should be possible for an organised CCA group. I think I will aim for Platinum. A sub 6 hour ride should be a good target.
  • sub 6 will get you gold! and probably 1st position. the start time for Gran Fondo is 08:00. As stated above, the race organiser recommends a little after 08:00 to give yourself some lead out men. of course if you don't need them, start earlier 8-). Haven't given it much thought until now but will get there early as in my experience the q's start well before the official start time.

How about a team shot at 7:45, then start q'ing???