Welcome to the forum

Youth gear restrictions for tomorrow

Can I just check that the maximum gears for tomorrow? I've found the figures of 5.1m for U8 and 5.4m for U10; is that right?

I've locked out the top gear on my U8, which limits him to ~5.0m but 5.4m will cause me to have to lock out the top 2 gears on my U10's Luath 26, which seems like a pretty low gear (though this will bring him down a fair bit under 5.4m - it's just that the next gear up is about 5.5m; how strictly is the 5.4m enforced?).

Cheers,

Steve.

Comments

• Hi Steve,

They will be rolled out and tested and if over you can't race so you will definitely need to be under not over.

Ethan has a separate cassette for his 26 and from memory I think the highest gear is something like a 13 or 14 if that helps?

Cheers
    Scott.
  • Thanks Scott. I've just looked and the problem seems to be that Iestyn's cassette goes from a 12 (which is actually a fair bit over 5.4) to a 14 (which is about 5m). I guess that he will have to race with a low top gear then as I doubt I will get an 8 speed cassette with a 13t this afternoon...

S.
  • edited June 2016
    I have an 8 speed cassette v.new which I can bring tomorrow. It's an 11-32 but you should be able to lock off the 11t. You can then use it as an 7 speed 13-32. I'll bring the tools for removing the cassette + chain whip. I'll be there early as I'm marshaling so should work if you don't find anything.
    Steve

Edit..4.45pm. Located all the parts & tools, they're now in my kit bag ready for tomorrow.
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. The cassette already on there is 11-32 but it it 11-12-14-etc,. so I've had to lock off that bottom 2. If yours is 11-13-etc., that would make my lad really happy. I'll try to track you down tomorrow morning!

Cheers,

S.