Welcome to the forum

Racing Round Up

This morning there were 2 races up out of Sawtry, with 2 riders from CCA in each. The 3/4 ran off as a bunch for 40 odd miles and ended in a bunch sprint from what I hear. Tom King and one other CCA rider were spotted at the HQ. Neil and myself rode the E123 which was a 76 mile belt around the same circuit, heading off 10 mins before the 3/4s. Basically it was hard with two riders (Ash Cox being one of them) up the road, a small bunch of 4 and then the rest of the bunch sprinting ending up with Neil finishing just outside the top 20 and I came in a couple of riders behind him.

Showing off his new TMG horizon kit was our 2nd claim rider Ant Morris who's moved from spirit to TMG, with spirit getting in Doug Coleman from CC Luton. Cam was there too, riding his 3rd race in 3 days the first of which was the Otley GP which he made it round and finished 45th. That's one hell of an achievement and at such a young age I expect much more to come of him! His time at Spirit is obviously doing him the world of good as a bike rider.

Last week Charlie Passfield rode the tmg horizon road race (E123), over 100 miles of it, and finished 17th. A notoriously hard race on a rolling circuit with a rather nasty uphill sprint at the end. It just goes to show the standard of racing in this country when a long race on a hard circuit like that finishes in a bunch sprint. Another great result for Charlie.

A couple of weekends ago Neil and I rode the Neil Gardner RR (E123) over at cranfield, CC Luton's race, part of the newly formed central league. It's just under a 100 miles so nothing really happened till around 60 miles or so. The race finished with 4 riders up the road, then a large group of around 25 and then the rest coming in. I'd managed to sneak off the front of the laughing group and bridged over to the big chase group so yet again managed to finish just outside the top 20.

The week before was the London Phoenix RR (E123) on the matching green circuit. A rainy and miserable morning on very windy roads led to not the most enjoyable of races but I managed to get around, just, and avoid any accidents. Neil finished in the bunch sprint, I finished just behind it, whinging a lot. Eggs at the tea rooms were consumed post-race. A big recommendation if you ever find yourself in Hatfield Heath.

Mitchy and Adam are currently injured, Adam from racing and Mitchy in the line of duty. Which is good in a way, we've been able to meet them for some nice coffees in and around Hitchin during the week on the way back/way to training rides. Adam's looking perky and slowly but steadily getting back on the exercise bike.

I think Barron's been out at a few crits here and there, I do believe he rode the Letchworth crits. Looking forward to hearing how he's getting on on here if he's got a minute to jot something down.

Otherwise, if anybody else has anything to add then please do below! We want to hear your racing news!

Comments

• Great write up, thanks for letting us know whats going on.
  • I'm the one other that was at Sawtry this morning in the 3/4. My first jaunt into racing, enjoyed it loads but suffered a fair bit. Yo-yo'd off the back for a while then popped unfortunately. Some things to work on, but I'll be back :)

• Good stuff. Glad you enjoyed it, those roads aren't nice roads to be yo-yoing on with all that wind... A tricky race to learn about where not to ride!
  • Nice one Will and team. Thanks for the write up
  • edited July 2016
    Inspiring stuff racing riders. I've got my eye on the Mid Suffolk 3/4 race, if anyone has any knowledge or recommendations of it. Sun 14th Aug this year.

https://britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/138649/Mid-Suffolk-Road-Race

I wonder if Ash Cox would come over and give a few racing tips/stories at a future Club night..?
  • There are a few 3/4s knocking around. If you look here:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/?series_id=247

You'll find a list of all of the eastern road race league events which we get priority entry for. There are a few that are pretty local, so book into one and get riding! Why wait till the middle of August, Martin? You can even just rock up to the HQ and see if you can get entry on the line if you miss the entry date... I'd recommend having a ride round the CC London road race. It's at Hatfield Heath, so pretty close and the Matching Green circuit is a nice one to ride, fairly flat with one little drag and some windy country lanes... 24th July, so entry closes soon. Get in!
  • edited July 2016
    Thanks Will, good to hear the update
  • edited July 2016
    I was signed up for London CC 3/4 road race tomorrow, but it's just been cancelled due to fresh gravel on the course. There is an email via BC. Darn.