Welcome to the forum

Biggleswade Grass Track, this Saturday, 9th July, 1pm

The Biggleswade grass track event which is organised by Max and CCA is this Saturday afternoon.

If you intend to ride but havent yet entered could you let Max know as soon as possible. You can enter on the line but it helps Max if he has an idea of who is coming. There is a £300 prize fund available and there will be seperate ladies events if there are enough entries. There will be go ride events as well.

Weather looks promising. Details below.

https://britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/138255/Biggleswade-Sports-Grass-Track

Comments

• More Go-Ride info for the kidz...

• Doing my best to defy Dr's and Wife's orders so I can toe the line Saturday. Hope to see you there.
  • Great day at Biggleswade on Saturday. Big thanks to everyone helping to organise and make happen. My kids absolutely loved the go-rides and just wanted to do more afterwards.

Great to be able to mix it up with some brilliant riders in the senior omnium. The sprints... no warm up for me and spinning out on a very fast course. Massive thanks to Iain F for the loan of a 16 tooth cog to give me a couple more MPH. It made the difference for me.

Everyone should give the grasstrack events a go. For a few quid, you get 6 races.

I actually enjoyed the 8km/25 lap race. Great to be going around with so many riders. By comparison to crit racing... this feels much more civilized. Perfect introduction to track. Such a useful skill to have in cycling.

The Devil is always fun and exhilarating.

The longest lap didn't feel very long, and apologies again to David H for sprinting on this via a big mid-race man hug.

Thanks again helpers and organizers!

• Was a great afternoon. Good to see over 20 seniors on a blustery but warm day. Lots of great racing from the CCA racers. I'll put the results up in due course.
  • 70th Fairfield Sports Meeting incorporating Biggleswade Grass Track Racing, held 9th July 2016.

Fairfield Sports ground on Saturday saw the 70th year’s competition take place on Fairfield’s superb condition grass (thanks to the regular rain and a dedicated grounds staff). The result as far as the 60 or so cyclists were concerned was smooth short grass in prime condition. The going on a bike was a little heavy and not as fast as in drier years, a bonus of the surface was a meeting without a single fall. The slightly slow grass did not deter from the level of competition from the riders who hailed froman area covering London, Lincoln, Essex and Penrith as well as a strong local contingent.
    There were two key events in the meeting, both of which were qualifying events for National Leagues. In the sprint run over 700metres the heats were each closely contested leaving 4 finalists, the two repercharge that followed the heats resulted in two further finalists. In the thrilling final run off at close to 30mph league leader TomRoper Beacon RC of Penrith had to give best in the straight to Mitch Powell from Team Terminators, in a close third place was Martin Smith from Chesterfield Couriers.

The Endurance League event, run over 8Km was an event that increased in pace from the first (of 25) laps. The overall effect was a gradual reduction in the size of the leading group until only 3 riders remained, however this did not deter from the man on man racing in each of the groups that formed behind the breakaway. The heavy track in this event was a godsend to the very fit and relatively lightweight of grass track endurance athletes. The final outcome was a win for Tom Roper with George Thompson from Rutland Wheelers second and CC Ashwell’s David Mitchinson a creditable third. The current National 8Km Grass Track Champion, Mitch Powell, placed 5th.

The youth racing with 20 riders in various age groups was largely a CC Ashwell verses Colchester Rovers event with the Colchester Riders overall the winners 2 to 1 in the 3 closely fought overall (omnium) competitions.Besides the racing noted above, all contested on single fixed gear brakeless bicycles there was a Go-Ride competition for all the youth riders on conventional bikes. In these competitions over 2 year age bands from 5 to 14, it was again a largely Ashwell verses Colchester competition, with a draw the overall result.Overall a great (dry) day’s competition with riders from 5 to 50 enjoying competion.

Max Pendleton
  • Revised results below. Martin Maertens was down as a senior not a vet. Turns out he won the vets category! Hes going to be a handfull in the cross this year.

• edited July 2016
    Amazing. I need to sweep up some prize money from the others; though I owe Iain bigtime for stepping in with that 16-tooth cog and installing it. So that's quits. And, Dave's already spent his money on a Chinese he said yesterday at the Ashwell track. Burp.

Hopefully nobody spotted me winning the doofus prize on the day too for colour-blindly riding into the rope that protected the cricket bowling area after the 8km race finished and getting comically boinged out again.

Just noticed on BC site... 3 points!
  • Brilliant, well done Martin. I may be able to sweep up some leftovers for you.