Welcome to the forum

***ACCREDITED MARSHAL COURSE***

Hello all,

I've just received this email from Ian Doe at BC about our membership to the Eastern Road Race League. As most of you will know, the club is affiliated to this league. Part of the deal is that we put on a race each season which allows our riders to have prioritised entry into the Regional A and B races (2/3/4s and 3/4s). Without this membership it would be almost impossible for our 3rd and 4th category riders to get into the local races. In choosing the field for this year's primavera for example, we had 57 ERRL members apply out of 120 odd applications for a field of 60 riders. This leaves 3 spaces for non-ERRL riders.

Dear Will

As you are probably aware a condition of being a member club of the ERRL is that you must supply a least one Accredited Marshal to the region to help cover the events we run, at last we have secured a date to run a course which is Saturday 23rd July between 12 and approx. 4pm in Bury St Edmunds.

To attend the course I would ask that you register your interest through the attached link www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/course/details/2978 where you will find the full address of the venue.

I have attached a copy of the list of events that we run in the Eastern region that require Accredited Marshal cover, so you can see how busy we are. Once you have attended the course we expect the marshals to attend 5 events through the season, initially as a trainee we would never leave you on your own and would always pair you with an experienced marshal to show you the ropes, some of the marshal’s in this area have been doing the job for up to 9 years so have got lots of knowledge to pass on.

I thank you for your support and hope to see you on the 23rd, if you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

Ian Doe
Regional Events Officer- Eastern

As you can see, unlike affiliation to the ECCA where we just have to provide a few marshals for different events (you can marshal 1 event a year if you regularly ride the time trials and be giving something back to the region without affecting your race diary too much at all) being an accredited marshal requires you to marshal at 5 events per season. This is around half of the seasons races for us racers so means that it's not really an option for us to do. I wouldn't think twice about attending this course if I didn't work and/or race at the weekends, without accredited marshals racing in our region simply will not happen any more. It's a great opportunity to give something back to the club. All expenses are paid as an accredited marshal and you'll be looked after well at the races (fed and watered), so if you feel you have 5 Sunday mornings or Saturday afternoons that you feel you can give up per year during the racing season to help out it would be hugely appreciated. One person per club is the minimum, any more is a bonus!

I know that there are a couple of people from Welwyn Wheelers heading up for the course. I'm sure I could find out who they were if lift sharing would be preferable. Drop a note under this if you're interested or have any questions.

Huge thanks,

Will

Comments

• Any takers?
  • Will as discussed last night I have signed up for the course but the BC website gave the message "You do not have a Valid First Aid Certificate". So I think I'm booked on the course but then maybe I'm going to need another course soon...
    Anybody else wish to join me so we can spread the load of the 5 races?