Welcome to the forum

Wanted: Fellow cyclist with epilepsy to buddy up with

Hello, new to this forum, (and club),

I’ve recently been diagnosed with a condition which did result in epilepsy-like side effects, and am on the look-out for a fellow partner to cycle with in a similar situation. Risk of seizures is now minimal, and the docs are happy for me to get back on two wheels, but there’s always the ‘what if’ factor that tends to play on the mind... Age/gender/ability, don’t really care. Word of warning though, last winter I was clocking up loads of miles on my own and was in reasonably good shape, but two months in a hospital bed and only recently being allowed to return to full exercise means I’m not exactly Bradley Wiggins at the moment.

Anyone else out there in a similar situation I can buddy up with? I live in Bassingbourn, and used to favour the A1198/A505/A1/A428 square.

Rgds,
Chris
cjs_121@aol.co.uk

Comments

• Chris, I am sure you are welcome on any club ride. Why not contact the committee to discuss.
    Tim, Stef, Martin can you respond. We'd need to know how to read the signs and handle the situation as we ride in groups.
    You really need to find someone or the group that fits your pace.
    I live in guilden Morden.
    Welcome to do rollers in my shed and join rides.
    I ride on early bird rides ave 20mph at the mo.
    Others ride more steadily.
    Come to a club night - first Tuesday of the month at the tuns in ashwell is probably best.
  • Hi Chris,

I can empathise with your position after I had a significant condition (1 in a million apparently) which resulted in not thinking I could trust my body again. Best thing I did was join the club rides on Saturday mornings and I let a few people know what to do but touch wood no issues 2 years on and now trying TT ing. I'm also lucky to have my partner who also cycles.

As Vinc said, try and find a group at a pace you find comfortable.

Gareth
  • Good day all,

Thanks for the helpful comments. I’ve begun cycling again (flat out, with a car following) on my favourite 10 mile route - times are coming down, but I’m obviously still well off my pace of last winter. Also tried longer trips – sustaining15 mph+ is no problem, but I’m finding my back is killing me around 25+ miles – maybe I need some more runs to flex up a bit.

I thought I might join your slower run this sat, and break off if the distance gets too much – bearing in mind I have to add 8 miles to get to/from Ashwell from Bassingbourn.

Highway code shouldn’t be a problem – had a license since I was 17 (sadly, a while ago now), although I admit I’ve never cycled in big groups before. It does somewhat worry me though as a motorist when I see groups of cyclists all bunched up bearing in mind the 2 second rule – not sure how this is handled in emergencies.

Anyway, looking forward to Sat, weather (so far) looking good.

Rgds
  • Hello all,

Thanks gentlemen (and lady) for the kindly welcome for a newcomer last Sun's 9:30 - very nice run. Sorry I couldn't stick around afterwards for the coffee - but def planning to turn up this Sun, and also for the post run drinks.

Point noted about the tyre pressure - but you're not going to get me on the lycra...!

Chris