Welcome to the forum

etape du tour 2016

Epic, in every sense, amazing day, incredibly hot, and incredibly tough. When we met up in the bar afterwards we'd done 7 or 8 of the last 11 etapes between us and all agreed this was the hardest, despite being the shortest. Not sure why.. Very high temperatures (39 deg apparently) and the unrelenting steepness of the Joux Plane maybe. Can't wait to see the pros race over the JP in weeks.. If it's still undecided will be carnage. More later maybe but now it's time for (more) beer and food....
Skelders and I were in pens 14 and 15 respectively out of... 15.. So roughly 14000 riders in front of us.. Nice challenge
Top of the colombier
In the bar afterwards.. Watching the TDF..

And for the record... Skelders beat me by 11 mins... But I did climb the JP faster than him. Still a win is a win.. Well done Tim!

Comments

• Well done Stef!

Although I reckon I'd have killed for 39 degree sunshine when I was shivering through sleet on Joux Plane just 3 weeks ago! Did you spot the section of road that had been taken out by landslide? What shape is it in now?
  • ,they had marshalls on it. It was resurfaced but very rough. Generally roads were excellent though some nasty and pretty major wipeouts on a couple of the descents. It was 29 deg at 830 a.m.! Boy was it hot. Dont think my images worked. Will try again when i come round!
  • Well done chaps!!
  • Brilliant work chaps. Very envious of your post-ride beer and dinner and mountains and heat and Tour watching. Well done!

Here's yer pics... Crackin'

• Chapeau to you both!
    Big smiles with big beers - all good!
    Enjoy.
  • edited July 2016
    Just to reiterate Stef's words it was just awesome.... right up to Joux Plane.... brutal and relentless...... I was so so grateful for my 32 on the back :-) I saw grown men crying, lying in streams, passed out under trees and just broken!

Very happy with my time and agree with Stef, although shorter, by far the toughest yet.... up there with even Marmotte!

And that beer.... OMG.... liquid gold!!

For those who haven't done an Étape... it is a must at least once!!
  • well done both of you sounds great. Still cannot see those pics?
  • Stef/Skelders, I was due to take part this year, but due to recent operations, my GP laughed when i asked him to sign the medical consent form. Sounds like, for once, he was right.

Great achievement, and i will be putting my name down for next year.

Gareth
  • ah, yes, medical form... they did ask this year, previous years my BS licence was enough..

fortunately I had signed my own one earlier and used my company stamp lol.. ... :-}