Welcome to the forum

Paris-Roubaix

edited June 2008 in General
Stevie and I took part in the Paris - Roubaix Sportive on the weekend of the 7th/8th June. The original plan was to ride the 110 mile version which takes in all the cobbled sections. However Stevie's preparation was marred by illness and I came down with a cold just before the event so we tackled the 60 mile route. This started just before the Arenberg Forest. The cobbles through the Forest are virtually unrideable - even worse than Ashwell High Street! Having made it over those, things got easier. There were plenty of feed stations with mountains of food and drink to keep is going. The finish at Roubaix was fantastic with a big crowd to welcome everyone home and a complimentary meal and beer.

This event is only every two years so we are having to wait to go back and tackle the longer version or the full 160 miles that the pros ride. For the Sportive riders this involves at 4am start. I would definitely recommend it as a fantastic experience and our souvenir cobbles have pride of place in the trophy cabinet. Perhaps we can tempt some club riders to join us next time.

Mark and Stevie