Welcome to the forum

MTB Inter-regionals

Last weekend I represented the Eastern region at the MTB inter-regionals at Cathkin Braes. I was part of a team of 4 girls and 4 boys. We traveled up to Scotland on the Friday and stayed at Glasgow University for the weekend. Over the course of the weekend I had to take part in several different events. My first event was a skills event. I had to perform Bunny hop, wheelie landing my front wheel on a crate, Side hop over a log, and then ride along a rolling beam performing a front and rear wheel lift to get on and off. I then had to keep my back wheel inside of four blocks while my front wheel went around the outside, lastly I had to weave in between cones. The whole skills section was timed you had to do it using flat pedals rather than SPD's. You also got penalty points if you did not complete the skills properly. I came first Eastern rider out of the girls.
After the skills I took part in a handicapped race, the handicap was determined by your position in the skills. The handicap race was not very technical and was mostly down to speed.
In the afternoon I took part in a dirt crit which was a fast flat race on gravel. Because I had done quite well in the morning I was placed with all the faster under 16 girls. (I still race as an under 14) To go through to the A final I had to come in the top 9 riders so new I had to really put a lot of effort in and get a good start. I managed to finish 7th going through to the final. After the final I placed 14th overall which I was really pleased with.

On Sunday it was time for the XC race, I had been looking forward to this as I had raced at Cathkin Braes 2 weeks ago in the MTB National Championships where I manged to finish 5th. We went off as an Eastern region team to to a practice lap of the course. Unfortunately they had taken out a lot of the technical sections so it was going to be another flat out race. I had a good start and was in with the top 6 riders until on the second lap my back wheel had come loose so I had to stop and tighten it. I lost a few places but was confident I could make them up but my wheel came loose again this time I waited until I went passed the pits and got one of the Eastern region coaches to tighten it for me as I could not get it tight enough my self.
As he tightened it I watched everyone going passed knowing I would have to make a lot of places up. We did 4 laps of the course in total racing for an hour and a half. I finished 14th 2nd Eastern girl rider across the line.

It was a brilliant weekend and such a good experience I was one of the younger riders there so hoping I will get picked to go back next year and achieve even better results for the Eastern region.
As an Eastern region team we came 8th.

Harley.

Comments

• Well done Harley. Sounds like a tough weekend after such a long journey up.