Welcome to the forum

Tour of the Cornfields 2016

The open Tour of the Cornfields is on Sunday 4th September (not club version - will fix a date later).

Entries are open here https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/138795/Tour-of-the-Cornfields

Who's in?

Mark.

Comments

• Adam & I will be there again this year. Really enjoyed it last year.
    Steve L.
  • I have also entered.
    Information on BC website indicates 9.00 to 9.30am start from Wimpole Hall.
    I'm keen to ride as a CCA group or at least start together.

Propose we congregate just before 9am to get away with the early starters.
  • I've entered - good suggestion Jeremy - see you there shortly before 9
  • Hi Mark,
    I'm a new CCA member without kit as yet, but I've entered and will look out for you all before the 9.00 a.m. start, as you suggest.
    Andy
  • Missed online entry so will sign up on the day. Need a copy of the Garmin file. Could someone upload a link or email it to me tomorrow? Will cycle over to wimpole from gulden I recon.
  • According to the site it is a new route and they're sending out details in the evening
  • We got an email with a gpx and tcx file this morning but I can't get either of them to work. Has anyone else had this problem or is it just my technological incompetence?

It isn't recognised on my Garmin and I've tried uploading it to sites that show the route but they say there's an error.
  • Hi David - not your problem - there is a fault with the files (they contain an invalid character).

I have fixed them and e-mailed them to you

If anyone else wants these then PM me your e-mail addresses.

Rgds
    Andrew
  • Hi Andrew - I messaged you.
    Thanks
  • Andrew I have pm'd you too. Could you send me the file. Thanks.Steve.
  • edited September 2016
    Noah really enjoyed this today.

Some pictures of the grand depart from Wimpole.

• Really good but tough ride. Pace felt too slow at the start but I had already warmed up cycling out from Guilden. That said I struggled from Ashwell to put down much pressure and it was helpful having a tail wind for a lot of the second half, though the last 10 miles were tough back into the wind. I rode about 55 miles on my own which was a bit weird and character building.
  • edited September 2016
    Thanks for the pictures Stuart. CCA out in force and all starting at the front of the grid. Almost everyone in club kit or wearing blue which really made us stand out. Having ridden the original version of the course a couple of weeks ago I resisted the temptation to hang onto Vince's disappearing wheel. This is a tough off-road endurance event and although only 62miles it is easily equivalent to a 100miler on the road. The CCA group mostly stayed together for the 1st 5 miles but eventually fragmented as people found their own pace or had punctures. The first half of the course is mostly off road and was really tough into the nagging wind. I found myself riding with DaveH and we kept it at conversational pace to the feed at Potton.

Second half has some long road sections and takes in Icknield way from Ashwell. Dave and I teamed up with JamesR from the Welwyn. Faster pace with wind behind and some really good flowing trails. We managed to get onto some trains to boost our speed including "St Ives Man" who did an absolutely monster turn through Fowlmere. He seemed happy with us sat on his wheel but we eventually let him go a few miles later on.

i think we got the pacing right and the three of us crossed the finish line tired but not broken. Enjoyed meeting up with the CCA group again at the finish for the obligatory cuppa and sausage roll. Everyone had their own stories and experiences to share. Felt a really chilled event and Wimpole Hall is a splendid venue for the start.

All good - really enjoyable day out.

Crest CC are running a similar event on 18th September. 80km - suitable for CX and MTBs. Link with more information below. Entry using BC website.

http://crestcyclingclub.org.uk/events/two-counties-tour