Welcome to the forum

Chain gang 23/08

Anyone up for an earlier start to get a bit more time in the sun? set to be a balmy evening so be good to get more than one lap in. Numbers have been low the last few weeks so I'm happy to meet others on the course, or earlier at the Tuns.

Comments

• Yes. On train home so could do 6.30 or 7pm. Shall we say leave tuns on 7 to be at steeple for 7.10 and meet somewhere in that space? Or leave tuns 6.50pm? I may meet at steeple but will try for tuns.
  • If low numbers could do an evening ride out to gamblingay keeping it sharp but together.
  • Unfortunately can't make it this week.
  • I should be able to get to the Tuns at 7, though 6:50 will be pushing it.
    It is a lovely evening!
  • Ok see you there
    Or can meet you on way to steeple of not there at 7pm.
    We can do a lap and hopefully catch 7.30 riders. Then can decide if we do the usual or head for the hills.
  • Ok, tuns around 6:45-6:50 roll out at 7
  • Top ride tonight. Turned out to me my fastest ever chaingang since joining strava last year. Surprising given there were only four of us but that four included Matt ( the really fast one), Matt (the other really fast one) and Chris (the really fast one). Oh and me doing a tiny bit less clinging on tonight. Two fast laps. Average 24.5 mph. 22.10 mins fastest lap.
    Great ride thanks all
  • My legs were suffering from holiday-induced lack of use! But it was a most enjoyable ride - beautiful evening!
    Not sure how many more of these we will get now that the evenings are getting darker. Which makes me sad - these chain gangs have been one of the highlights of my season so far. Challenging, fast & fun. They've certainly been good for my riding!
  • Yep thanks chaps, really well paced solid riding. I was going to suggest a weekend chaingang that can perhaps be longer when we have more daylight also.
  • I'd be up for a weekend chaingang - timing is more challenging though, as it will need to fit around my kids rugby / football / whatever commitments.
  • Depending on timing, I might be up for a weekend chaingang. I can't do Tuesday nights, but I'd love to give it a go.
  • how about steady through an off rides on a Saturday. Stevenage used to do a faster Saturday ride that was steady out and through and off for the return leg. We should be considering this. the 8am ride has a decent pace at times but know some like this ride as an off season mile builder rather than the shorter, more intense training option. one to discuss at club nights - first Tuesday of the month in the Tuns.
  • Why don't you consider autumn/winter evening sessions of road bikes on the track at Welwyn? You could then run various training drills including chain gang, gaining a lap, team time trial etc with no cars to worry about.

You might be able to turn up and pay as casual users rather than booking a session. I'm not sure which evenings will be free (Not Wednesdays as Welwyn are there) but worth a try.

Someone will need to do some research.

Mark.
  • Please be aware that if you do not book exclusive use of the track at Welwyn - anyone (& I mean anyone) can come & use the track at the same time. So you can have mountain bikers/ runners/ track riders / kids & adults all with varying abilities using the track at the same time which makes running specific sessions very risky.
    Obviously this doesn't always happen & you may end up with exclusive use but just be aware of the risks.
    Also be aware that any 'coached' session requires a Level 2 BC coach for there to be valid insurance in place.
    From memory Mondays' through the winter should be free, last year football & atheltics had the track booked out on Tuesdays & Thursdays - but this may have changed.

Alison