Welcome to the forum

Rapha CC Road Race

edited August 2016 in Road Racing
imageCharlie Passfield finished third in Sunday's Rapha CC Road Race, a 130km 2/3/4 category event just west of Saffron Walden.

I expect most of us would have been delighted with that but Charlie is riding so strongly this season that he was really only looking for a win on what is his home turf.

In his words: "I got in a break of 7 after 50k which took 2 minutes out of the bunch. Luke Hattersley of Richardsons-Trek got away with about 30k to go, which was a bit annoying. The rest of the break slowly split up leaving me and someone else together for a sprint where I was beaten, I'm a terrible sprinter... "

I know Will S was hoping to enter on the line and support Charlie in the race but I don't know if he managed to get an entry - there were already lots of reserves.

Mark F

Photos by www.davehaywardphotos.com

Comments

• edited August 2016
    I didn't manage to get myself out of bed in time and would have been a fat lot of use as a team mate for Charlie! No speed in my legs at the moment... Luke was the one to watch in that race, having just managed to pinch his first cat the day before. He came 2nd in the divs this year too, around whitwell, which is a similarly hilly course. He finished with a sizeable gap, riding away from the break must have been a hard effort!

I managed to get dragged out of bed by the Swans and Ant and pootled over to catch the finish. Charlie had an amazing ride and was just unfortunate on the hill, coming over the top leading the other guy out. They both had to work hard to stay away from the next two who were chasing them down pretty quickly so no opportunity to sit up and let the other guy do some work, he just crept by before the line.

Couldn't believe that Charlie was still grinning when he went past us on both of the laps we gave him a cheer at the line. Chapeau!
  • Good write up from Rapha here