Welcome to the forum

Last summer chain gang, Tues 30 August 2016

2 laps in forecasted ideal weather.
7.30pm leaving Ashwell. 7.35pm starting at Steeple Morden: I'll be there. Bring lights.
I will try and make it if there's an earlier lap but it's unlikely.

Lower numbers this summer than before, but I'm sure this will improve next year. The standard of riding has been better than ever, I reckon.

If there are any pop-up weekend chain gangs in September, I will deffo try and make them.

Comments

• I've registered! The next thing on the list is to actually join the club! (Don't worry, I'm insured through BC).

I'd be up for an earlier lap. 7.05 at Ashwell. 7.10 Steeple. Then 7.33 for second lap.

I recon 2nd lap we could go for a course record?
  • Hope to be at the Tuns for 7pm
  • TT focused week for me, I'll probably see you on the loop. Have a good ride. Look out for pop up weekend sessions on the forum
  • We'll miss your wheel Chris.

An attempt on the course record probably needs 6-7 riders minimum methinks. Hopefully we can muster that.

Warm air with a negligible southerly breeze. Perfect conditions for a smooth chain. No sudden acceleration when on the front of the fast lane, foot off the gas then when on the front of the slow lane, no sprinting out of the corners if you're up front... and it should hold together...
  • 5 out for the finale. Me, Matt Palmer, Noah, Stuart and Steve.

We went for it, but were probably 2 or 3 riders short for the record. Great evening for it though and tidy effort. The Fields have clearly found a beetroot juice well at the bottom of their garden. Flying!

Lap 1: 24.0mph
    Lap 2: 23.8mph

It's been a great summer for chain gangs. Numbers have been down. I think that's in part to the success of the next day's Club 10s. And the chain gang is probably missing a medio champion. Maybe someone will step up in 2017. Cheers all!
  • Bit of a last minute decision to do this and glad we did. Thanks everyone that was our fastest lap of the year. Thought we kept it together really well despite the approaching darkness. Just could not keep up on that last hill :-(
  • Muppet muppet. just getting ready for the last chaing gang of the season and of course today is Wednesday not Tuesday. Really sorry I missed it yesterday. Had head totally down focussed on work yesterday. Gutted. I was just wondering whether Martin's forecast was accurate as its a bit windy now.

I need a secretary to keep me organized.

ps we averaged 24.5mph last week. was all set for averaging 25mph this week.
    Sorry all. might there be another opportunity next week if weather is good and if we get back for a 7pm start?
  • That's a shame Vincent we could have done with some extra legs. The turns came round very quickly. You would definitely need the early start as it was properly dark at the end.
  • I'd be up for something next week. Early start is good for me.
  • It's going to be good weather this week. Let's check when it gets dark tomorrow. How many interested in a chaingang and could you get to ashwell for a 7pm start for one last rush?
  • Hi Vince. I will try and get to Steeple for 7.05pm but can't guarantee it. Will confirm very near the time.

2 laps and then off to the Club night. It could work out well.
  • Should be able to make 7 at Ashwell. Failing that 7.05 Steeple. No weekend riding so my legs should be working.
  • I plan to be there, I want to do a short lap warm up first so will meet at Steeple 7:05.
  • I'll be out - Tuns at 7
  • 1 lap. All out. Lets do it. See you there
  • Noah and I should be there.
  • I shall be at steeple 7.05pm. Vince is having a work wobble. Cmon Vincenzo!
  • I plan to be there too.
    Might be a bit spicy for me but will contribute what I can and hang on for dear life!
    Will probably ride straight to Steeple for 7.05
  • We smashed the chaingang record! By over 20 seconds.

Lap 1. 25.6mph!
    Lap 2. 24.6mph

Well done chaps. Proper effort. I'm in bits.
  • Wow what a turn out for the very last of the evening CG's. Perfect storm stuff. Still warm evening and 10 out I think. It all happened very quickly once we got going. Vince mumbled something about having to get back for a yoga class and we were off. Martin was giving us time checks and Vince filled any gaps that appeared but on the whole I thought it was a good number and we worked well together.
    The feeling was that we had cracked it on lap 1 but still put in a good turn of speed on lap 2 with slightly fewer in the group. Chris really put the pressure on with a massive fast pull to Bassingbourn before he peeled off.

No KoM for me (4th overall at time of upload) but Noah and I really enjoyed that. Thanks everyone

Stuart
  • A real call to arms with everyone up for it tonight.
    Very smooth chaining with enough recovery in the wheels.
    1st lap - Martin orchestrated the record and asked for more in the run in from Shingay.
    2nd lap - slightly slower despite Chris's monster effort into Bassingbourne.
    Couple of pints in the Tuns at the club night to celebrate.

Great way to finish the chaingang season - thanks everyone.
  • Excellent and enjoyable last ride. Shameless behaviour of mine to hang back on the first corner so I pipped the KOM by 1s. Of course a well deserved team effort.
  • Thanks all for a really good and engaging chaingang. So nice to ride with everyone really into it. Game on.

Sorry to have missed second lap. To be honest I was slightly in bits but had to be back for Yoga (not my class but Jane's). So road steady on the shorter loop via Abbington Piggots.

I will start to ride evening rides with MC on Tuesday's from Letchworth on fixed wheel but woulldnt Mind an evening steady chaingang if we could find a good route. It might need to be a circuit de Stevenage where there will be light but would need to be on decent roads and not too many roundabouts. Something to think about.
    Winter chaing gangs would need to be more steady. Different to summer and not about going full on. May be something to consider for early spring if not before.

Keep the chain gang strong next year.
    Let's make sure the weekend rides grow in the winter.

• So no one available next week at 6:30 for a couple of steadier laps? I need the practise as I choked on the first lap on the guilden road.