Welcome to the forum

Club run review - Sunday 31st Jan 10

edited January 2010 in Club runs
9 out in a distinctly medium/fast group led by Carmelo. With me, Robbie, Trahern, Sam K, Stuart, Kevin, Stef and Josh - fresh from his successful riding yesterday at Hillingdon. Out west and anti-clockwise - Langford, Ireland, Ampthill, around Flitwick, Harlington, Lilley, Whitwell, Codicote, thru and offing up the B656, Wymondley, Letchworth, Baldock and back.

Good discipline meant steady turning taking on the front most of the way. Cold - but not too bad. Plenty o' ice though and had to dismount near Whitwell for a bit. The hill at Sundon was a surprise! 20% and tougher than Sharpenhoe Clappers. But the surface is good. A right test. Especially for Sam and Robbie on fixies! Group splintered in the last 12 miles or so - with individual goals in mind. As is the nature of medium/fast - make sure you know your way back. I clocked 61 miles at 16.7mph. 2,400ft climbing. I expect the fellas up front got 17+. Top ride!

Route on Google map;
www.tiny.cc/sundon

Could have kicked out further east to Knebworth, Watton and turn up thru Benington for an extra 8 miles - but 9.30am start applied pressure. Maybe in Spring eh. Got back 1.30ish.

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Yes. That Sundon hill nearly beat me up and spat me out. Doing a track stand half way up!
  • Fear not mear mortals !
    the club run does 35-40 miles
    16mph ish average
    yes we did barrington hill , but the rest was flat
    Leave the nasty boys above to pain and glory
    We look at the scenery
    Rides for all ( pain thresholds ) available :-)

James

PS fixed up 20% is impressive though !