Welcome to the forum

CC Ashwell Cyclocross - Sunday 9th October

13»

Comments

• I have a Sram mtb clutch rear mech which takes up all the slack in the chain with a force 1X chainring up front which has wide-narrow teeth to help retain the chain.

The Sram mtb stuff is working well with my force shifters and is much cheaper than the Sram CX specific parts.
  • I've been running a single chain ring setup for a few years now, with and without an MTB clutch mech {which tensions the chain), medium cage, short cage, all sorts. In my experience the two crucial things are the narrow wide chain rings and chain length (as short as possible). I've also used 4 different brands of narrow wide rings from cheap to expensive and I've found no difference. I've currently got a medium cage clutch mechanism which lets me run a wider cassette with a bit more confidence.

I've had two dropped chains in races in now the 3rd season. One involved a lot of mud combined with gravel and the other was down to bad technique. No dropped chains in the 3 Peaks which is extremely bumpy. The other good thing is if you do drop a chain, and you're not using a chain catcher it takes 5 seconds to put it back on.
  • I'm running single on the front and I expect it was down to poor/no technique. As for 5s to put the chain back on I was panicking and it felt like a lifetime, looking at my lap times possibly as long as 30s!
  • edited October 2016
    Martin
    I provided a tin of flap jack so could have been mine.
    100g syrup
    100g brown sugar
    100g butter/marg
    melt this lot together
    then add to 200g of oats
    50g of fruit (optional)
    flatten into a 20cm tin and bake @180 dgress for 12 to 15 mins
    let cool and cut.

Not sure if Mr Hollywood would use the triumph but they usually work out most times and lets face what's not to like. Sugar more sugar fat and some carbs.

Some pics from Sunday. Sorry if I did not get you.

• Good flapjack doesn't prevent chain offs, but I am sure it helps.

Many chain off incidents can be attributed to the rear derailleur hanger not being properly aligned, well worth checking.

Nice photos everyone!
  • What a great day and the perfect showcase for our club. Again huge thanks to everyone who helped or just turned up to offer support. Daniels lead was superb and lets not forget Mark who started the club on this great CX adventure quite a few years ago now.

Thanks for all the photos and i love that one of Noah who looks like hes about to be another victim of the slippy corner. He never was though, rode it like a boss every time! A real shame Travis punctured otherwise im sure a top 5 was on the cards. Great results across the board.

I really enjoyed having so many team mates in my race, made it really good fun. I have to admit though Martin that all the unclipping in the twisty tree section was less a demonstration of any kind of CX technique and more a total lack of faith in my own cornering ability!

Welwyn next, hope you are all going to be there again.
  • Daniel don't have your current email address

Thanks again for organising Sunday, it was amazing for the club and whole league! (++ MWyer in the past)

Danny MacAskill has just come out with a new film Wee Day Out http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/bike/stories/1331821751376/danny-macaskill-wee-day-out - very fun - thought you'd enjoy!
  • Another handy video link:

GCN get Sven Nys to give some CX demos & tips (dismount/remount etc.).
  • Nice blog article about the women's race by Sherilyn Powell of Chelmer CC:-

https://alifetorememberweb.wordpress.com/2016/10/18/tis-but-a-scratch/