Welcome to the forum

Orwell Velo Road Race, ERRL Cat 3/4

Went reprezenting the CCA massive out in Suffolk this morning at the inaugural Orwell Velo 3/4 Cat road race and new part of the ERRL calendar.

A full quota of 60 riders rocked up to the local village hall, where we were all given the most outrageously huge numbers to stick on out backs. You had to be Harry Houdini to reach into your back pockets thereafter. A quick 5 minutes warm up and we were led out by the race car in the neutralised bit and then let off the leash for 4.5 laps of a 12 mile circuit that largely stayed pretty flat, but with some tasty climbs here and there too.

I got off to a good start and had Richard Maynard's pre ride text message in my head, along with Will's sagely advice. I kept right up front as much as I could. Generally 10-15th or so. I had sussed the route out before on Google Maps. So made sure I was up front on the tight corners and one significant climbing section so as not to lose position. All the same, keeping up front was hard. The group were savvy and would work to constantly out manoeuvre you, or shunt you into the sidelines or wind.

There was a fair bit of going for it on the other side of the road in less than ideal places, and we'd get the tannoy from the race car cutting through the air in its angry Dalek voice... 'Do that again and you're out!' style. 'Exterminate!'. The accredited marshals were impressive, authoritatively holding up traffic completely on tricky bends for us.

There were a few breaks. I thought a small one would stick, but they got disorganised. I found myself on the front at one point by mistake having felt boxed in and wanting to get free. Get stuffed, I thought, so dropped it down to 20mph on a slight downhill.. nobody coming through. 19... still nothing... 18mph and eventually there was someone who took the bait and sprinted like a mad man off the bunch, creating a surge and nestling me back 10th or so.

The lanes were quite tight and there was always that slightly comedic soft patting of backsides going on to make everyone aware of where they were. Overall, the standard of riding I thought was excellent and everyone was pretty grown-up about taking risks.

Two laps in and I had to have a word with myself to keep at it. I'd take a gel partly for the psychological effect. And a tesco peanut bar for something else to think about than the effort. I'd drink two full bottles, surprisingly. Top advice from Richard M. This is the longest race I've done and knew conservation of energy would be critical. I took it to the wire here, and had a fair amount of cramp to deal with in the last half. But: I was sticking at it and was able to cope when the pack got busy. I started to collect enough cups from Strava to give Starbucks a run for their money, by grimacing an inch off some huge backside powering away just in front. It feels like a lifetime, but I suspect there were very few intervals that were more than 15 seconds or so. Some were close together, but the bunch would take a breather now and give you precious recovery time.

The second half of the final lap revealed the really strong riders. We reeled in a brave solo effort with 6 miles or so to go with a tidy mass chain gang and we became an ultra-fast bunch in the last section. I kept with it all but the narrow lanes and oncoming traffic really limited movement up the peleton. And at this speed, moving 5-6 bike lengths up the group is asking an awful lot. The finish line sat at the top of a nifty twisting climb. Just beforehand, the race car bellowed to say that they'd stopped the traffic at the top so we could have a right good go at it the full width of the road. Brilliant for me as I was wide and had all the lane to work around the group. Who knows, I might have done well here to climb up the places, but we could see a 4x4 coming down the hill that must have come off a side street, and it bottlenecked any ideas of pouncing. Instead, I just kept it steadyish, picked off a few sufferers and went over the line at the back of the sprinting front. I am reckoning/hoping around 20th. 56 miles @ 24.5mph av. Delighted, when my objective was just to finish.

Only after crossing the line did I dare look back. I was pleased to see we'd totally smashed it up and there were just a straggle of a few riders following. There must have been a fair few DNFs.

A few miles back to the village hall. A cake and nice trophy for the winner. A chat with a few riders. Some are thinking of the Kings Lynn one that our Dave is doing.

I hope a few more CCA riders have a go at crits and road racing in 2017. It's been a load of fun this summer. With a few of us, we could help each other too. The chain gangs have really helped rehearse the efforts. I was literally the only one with hairy legs.

Comments

• Nice one Martin - great write up. Shame on your legs!!
  • Well done Martin, you look made up!
  • Love that picture!
  • Well done. Do you want a razor and shaving gel for christmas??
  • Nice one Martin! Hairy legs & still in the lead group - shaving off all that extra air resistance will surely get you right to the sharp end!
    I too am really keen to get racing next year.
  • Cool. You'll do brilliantly, Mat. If I can hold on to the lead group: I expect that means you'll be placing top 10... and higher. Let's keep an eye out on the racing calendar, maybe do a winter crit or two, target the reliability rides in Feb and get going in Spring. There's a good few lads up for all this. It's no surprise: you can see the thrill of racing in my face.

I want to be in good form by April - Tour of Malta.

Hairy legs I reckon are a total strategy. It makes you look like a veteran and you get respect in the bunch...
  • Hairy legs make you look like a chopper and nothing else...
  • Great write up. Well done!
  • I'm up for some racing next year, even if its just in a domestique role, probably a bit of a wimp when it comes to the sharp pushy-shovey end of things. Let me know when you start doing a few events and I'll look into getting my BC license.
  • Perhaps a good time and place to ask. What do you guys do in terms of winter training? This summer I did a few chain gangs, a road race, Tour of Cambs but was a bit off the pace to be honest. So this winter I thought I'd get a bit more structured with it all, in preparation for some 3/4 races next summer. I've just bought a smart trainer, so can get sciencey and follow a plan if needed. For example, any experience with the BC plans here? https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/training-plans
  • Ed, i just have a bog standard elite traine rand use an ant dongle in the computer in conjunction with Traineroad, you sign up and there are loads of plans, most turbos have a calibration curve supported by the site...it will display virtual power using speed sensor (pretty accurate) or the actual power from your meter if you have one. I cant stand much more than 90 mins on the turbo so will do the hard intervals in the week then try and get some longer endurance outside. at the weekend. Would love a posher smart/direct driver trainer a la Tacx Neo but they are so much money