Welcome to the forum

8.30 GROUP 6 FEB

edited February 2010 in Club runs
WEATHER PERMITTING AND JUST TO SPICE IT UP... ANYONE FANCY A BIG HILL SESSION UP SANDON AND THERFIELD HILLS FOR AN HOUR THEN A SHORTER 35m RIDE?

Comments

• sounds good to me. I have a new dilems now though, my youngest has started footy on a Saturday!!!!! if he has a match I will pass if not i'll be there :)
  • I will be there.
  • See you there chaps.
  • edited February 2010
    The 'Therfield E-Ride'!!

Ok then. A set of each of the 3 hills from the A505 exits to Therfield [1. the stepped long road. 2. the one near the Shell Garage. 3. the one next to Royston Golf Club] is 9 miles and 860ft in climbing. I reckon about 40 mins a set? 2 sets - under an hour and half? It's not the sort of activity we'll stick together on - but we can regroup at Therfield or wait at the top. It'll work out.
    Map - note the E shape! - http://senduit.com/71166e

Then here is a suggested 35 miler from Therfield that can be shortened if need be;
    www.tiny.cc/therfield35

That's 1,500ft climbing - so potentially 3,300ft+ of climbing in total. Cheshire Cat is 5,800ft. We're getting there!

Some perspectives: this year's Etape is 13,500ft climbing. Skelders - get pedalling!!!
  • Rats - was hoping to be there, but have just been overruled. Sunday for me this week.

Have fun.
  • Yikes...

will be there at 8:30 but won't have time for the second part, am working on a pass for Sunday as well though!
  • edited February 2010
    The second bit might be a short warm down really if we work hard. This will be a training session mostly pain but all gain!
  • 6 out on the hill training then. It worked really well and I can see it happening again. Me, Robbie, Malcolm, Chris, Skelders and CCA Hill Climb Champeen Vince. As it went on, the group split - but you'd catch up going in different directions or at the top. All a bit surreal in the fog.

Me and Malcolm went on for a scenic 35 miles after. Well, it would have been if we could see anything. Coming in around 15+ mph av total which is an ideal zone for me for the Cheshire Cat.

Get yer lights on if it's misty tomorrow.
  • Sounds like a good idea that, done hill reps on the one beside the garage last year, how long was the set of three? Did it work out as planned?
  • I think you picked the best hill of the three Sam. It's the most straightforward and intense. They work well as a set though - a bit of variety. We didn't time it properly - but Robbie and Malcolm did 2 sets, and the Shell garage climb again in about 90 mins? Maybe Malcolm's garmin has the stats?
    We got out of sync with each other - and went into little groups - but it was fine as hill climbing can be quite an inward, solitary experience anyway eh...
  • From the bottom of the first hill total for all three climbs roughly 10 miles,this was up first,down middle, up middle,down golf course hill and back up,we then went back down the middle back up,back down the first,back up,did the middle and golf course hill again,total distance roughly 22.5 miles time 1hour 35 minutes total ascent 1950 feet .Steepest gradient middle hill 14% in middle section.

Great training ride, Martin and myself did a further 35 miles bringing the total for the day to 62 miles, average speed 15.3 total ascent just over 3000 feet.

Martin have a look at www.majorcacyclingtours.com