Welcome to the forum

Welwyn CX, 16th Oct

Another big turn out from CCA at Welwyn's Eastern League CX racing, yesterday. Despite the morning's hurricane.

Very different to Ashwell's course. Making the most from a municipal park, it zig zagged around the grassy knolls, into the bumpy drained bog, around a copse or two, and then to a pan flat crit section of speed, turn and acceleration. There was an impossible set of hurdles you had to face uphill. Though I see the seniors made light work of it. In the Vets races: it was a lot less slick, just don the crampons and hoick it over any ol' how.

Welwyn put a great show on. I liked the smells of the sausages, the acerbic witty banter from the Maynards on the tannoy, the drowning noise of the power generator and the blare of the sound system set to distortion levels - all giving it that Euro lowlander cycle event down-to-earth vibe. The choice of music might need addressing. I preferred giving it full beans to pumping europop, than staggering up the big hill in oxygen debt to the drifty sound of 'Dancing in the Moonlight'.

The youth races were exciting to watch as ever. Hats off to them who took the brunt of the weather conditions. Some fantastic placings again I see on the ultra-rapid results service.

I missed most of the Vets 50 and Seniors races. In the Vets 40 race we had maybe 8 CCA riders? Great turnout. Sunshine by now. I had a shocking start - even by my standards, but it did mean I got to watch everyone perform. Everyone seems to be really improving well as the season marches on. I believe Mark's CX training sessions are working miracles. Lots of high praise for those I hear.

I had a good tussle with Dave, he got past me but then unluckily got his rear mech caught on the barrier tape that then spectacularly ripped his hanger off with a 'ptchoo'! slingshot effect. Then later, super Vince seemed to be slowing up from his usual rocket ways. Sure enough, he punctured and had to run a good half lap. I then got close to Tim but couldn't reel him in as he pushed harder going tooth and claw with an East London Velo rider. He's too modest, but he really has both the skills and the aerobic crit power. Impressive. He was the fastest CCA rider in our race. Then again; he'd had a fermented beetroot juice pre-race. They'll be on the TUE list soon I bet.

All the while, lots of shouts for CCA to keep us going all around the course. Very motivating. I wish I had the energy to say thanks as I went by.

A bit of a hiatus for me in the league with other stuff going on, but hopefully will be able to pick it up in November. The season runs on well into 2017. If you are thinking of having a go: you can pick up a cheap cx bike or convert one easily enough and then just do it. It's got to be the most inclusive and kind natured form of cycle racing around, and there's so much support and companionship from other CCA riders.

Someone did a video of the Vets 40 race. Note: turn your volume down/off;

https://vimeo.com/187572077

Comments

• Great write up Martin.
    The Wed' night sessions are really paying off, luckily for me it was cornering technique last week, couldn't have been timed better. I put most of into into practice, even un-clipping on some of the sweeping downhill corners. I had a couple of dodgy moments but managed to stay upright for the whole race. I just need to learn how to get back on the bike now (over to you Mark).
  • edited October 2016
    Nice write up Martin. Gives a good feel of the day. I enjoyed my race but could just not catch Pete D who just blasted away from me in the last lap after I had been gaining on him. Jackie was pleased with her 1st Vet lady.
    I really enjoyed watching your race with so a good field of CCA riders. Here are some pics I took.