Welcome to the forum

Full Gas Winter Series #1 crit racing, Lea Valley, Sat 5th Nov, 1pm

edited October 2016 in Road Racing
I've entered the 3/4 Cat crit race of the first of the Full Gas winter series. Lea Valley/London velopark, Sat 5th Nov, 1pm start. 45 mins race.

I'm thinking of it as winter chain gang training really. And a leg warmer for the CCA hill climb the next day ;-)

Anyone else fancy it? I can squeeze one more person + bike in the car...

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/154472/Full-Gas-Winter-Series--01

Comments

• Will you be doing many more of this series? I'm tempted but my flight lands at around 6:30 am that morning, probably doable but may not be in a good state after 2 weeks off the bike! What are these races like Martin? Tah
  • Definitely up for that Martin, although probably worth me making my own way there, as we're not exactly en-route...
    I've decided to race at Gravesend tomorrow (12.30)- sorry, it's probably a bit short notice for you, I only realised yesterday that winter crits were starting already. Chance to bag a few late-season points? There's also the Brivelo series at MK starting tomorrow, but that's 3/4s as opposed to 4s only at Gravesend...
  • edited October 2016
    Nice one Dave... stay off the front!!

Chris... I bought the series membership - so have told myself I will try and do at least 3 to make it worthwhile. I think there's 20 in the series.

I've not done one of these. But I did a 4th Cat around Lea Valley recently. It was a good standard. Lea Valley circuit? The tight turns take some getting used to. Looking at strava for the same race last year, it was 60 riders (it's clearly popular and an eagerly anticipated series) at a pace a bit under our chain gang best. So hoping I can hang on. Only one way to find out.

It looks like the top 10 shot off early: when entering the last lap.

2 weeks off the bike for you I think probably means little. You'd smash it if you wanted to. If you do, I wouldn't mind a nod and a wink when you plan to put the hammer down, so I can draft a bit!

Weather forecast looks good. I hope you can do it.

Anyone else fancy it? See you there beforehand.
  • FYI folks... this race is currently full. I am on their Pending list at the mo.

Probably worth looking into one of the later ones in the series though.
  • That's a shame. Failing that though, there is always the Brivelo Series at MK Bowl - https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/155301/Brivelo-Autumn-Series-Round-3
    I was waiting to see if I can shift a cold before I book anything for Saturday - learnt the hard way at Gravesend...
  • They've shoved some 3rd Cats into the later E/1/2/3 race to make space in the 3/4 - and so I'm now in on this race.

Dave... I'd love to do the Brivelo series in MK too, but Saturday mornings are generally difficult for me. I hope to get one or two in though and will post on the forum if so. I like the easier circuit and ease of getting there/back. Good luck! Good series to dip toes in I bet: if anyone fancies it.

And a reminder to all: the Lea Valley winter circuit series is clearly popular: so jump in there well in advance.
  • Good fun at the first Winter Series circuit race at Lea Valley on Saturday. It's nice and relaxed being in the afternoon and the facilities at the Olympic Velopark are brilliant... free parking (as long as you log in at trackside), free lockers, changing rooms, cafe, safety pins £1 for 8. You can mooch around the track too. Take a gander at the bmx stuff etc.

Technically, there's no warming up on the track itself, but they didn't seem to mind. The weather wasn't too bad. Only arm warmers required. The wind is very strange directly under the Pringle where the circuit goes under it at one point, creating a strange changing vortex.

This was my first 3/4 Cat circuit race. There were only a handful of us 4th Catters, so was surprised at how many nervy riders there were before the start. On the line, I found myself next to another CCA rider, Simon, who pointed out his lad Tom was here too at the front of the line. They said they did this Series last year and enjoyed them. It was nice to have team mates around.

The race set off at a very reasonable pace. And found it easy to stay in the top 10-15 or so. The curves at the far side are really tight. You think your pedal will clip the ground every time. I can't work out how some riders get beyond a certain speed without doing so. Indeed, this course overall is narrow. Especially with 50 riders. It pays to stay near the front. It's very easy to get shunted off the track if you're not a bit elbows.

The bunch was savvy to the wind and it was easy to get caught out of the echelons if you didn't stay awake. There were a few nutters who made mad solo efforts. No one could work out what on earth they were doing. In the middle of the race there was an attempt by the front riders to make a break, but the strong wind neutralised their efforts.

In the last third of the race, I caught sight of Simon clipping his pedal on the ground and he span 90 degrees off the track, into the grass and bounced into the fencing. Luckily, he didn't hit any other rider and the wire fence seemed to cushion the blow. He only seemed slightly fazed by the incident afterwards.

Two laps to go, and I'm still top 10 when I hear a small yelp and the sound of bikes and riders tumbling on the ground. I didn't realise it then, but three riders spilled after a touch of wheels to effectively cut the bunch in two. Into the last lap and us remaining riders thin out into a line as the speed cranks up. It's so hard to move up the line and people are taking chances by trying to ride around on the verges.

Up to the final two turns and we are all surprised to still see one of the fallen riders being attended to in the middle of the track (turns out only road rash). It forces us to split into two lines. I instinctively took the smoother line but most took the tighter one. Their better group draft effect won out as we approached the final turn and a dozen riders sprinted to the line while I gave it what welly I could in the smaller group just off their wheels. 15th place, which I was delighted with as I was aiming for 30th. 45mins @ 24.7mph.

At the same time, the ladies race was going on. It looked like a huge success and the community of riders seemed really strong. I saw some of the E/1/2/3 race afterwards. That looked really high standard.

All in all, really good fun. I'd like to do a few more if I can throughout the winter. I'll post on the forum if so. Hope to see you there. Note: they're very popular and sell out like a Vets 50 'cross race....