Welcome to the forum

Bury X

edited November 2016 in Cyclocross/Offroad
This race took place yesterday at Hardwick Heath in Bury St Edmunds. This is a new venue which had to be used because the school in town which had been used for a number of years were not happy about the way the ground was cut up last year. A shame because it was a good venue with a number of different features.

The new course was mainly flat with a couple of wooded sections and lots twisting and turning on pretty slippy ground given the previous days rain and the early morning drizzle which thankfully cleared. It was also bitterly cold and windy.

A good turnout again for CCA with entrants in all cats. We are still leading the Team comp in the league but Welwyn pulled back a few points yesterday.

Results
Noah Field 5th Junior 15th overall in the sen/Jun race

V40
30 David Hadsley
34 Timothy Duckett
42 Iain Foulkes Vet
47 Richard Lawrence

V50 +
23 Peter Daniels
24 Stuart Field
26 Daniel Doncaster
27 Mark Wyer

Vet women
2 Jackie Field
4 Emma Pell

Youth Girl
2 Harley Pell

Youth
3 Adam Lightfoot Youth
14 Felix Field Youth

21 Sam Daniels Yth/U14
24 James Fraser Yth/U14
27 Nathan Hardy Yth/U14
40 Archie Foulkes Yth/U14
45Thomas Ayers Yth/U14
56 Alfie Duckett Yth/U14

U12
10 Joeph Hadsley
11 Ethan Storti
13 Iestyn Hill
17 Alistair Oppen

U10/8
2 Rhys Cairns U10
5 Gethin Hill U10
6 Louis Oppen U10
15 Elijah Storti U8

Some pics of the V40

Iain with an early lead in the CCA race
imageimage

Comments

• edited November 2016
    More great CCA results and especially from the younger riders.
    Just an observation but CCA seems to have lots of youth and veterans doing CX. Where are all the senior men and women in the club? I think some of our seniors would do very well. Maybe something different to turbo or the winter crit racing? Guess CX difficult to fit in if you focused on a full season on the road or TT.

JP
  • Thanks for all the lovely photos again Stuart. I think Richard wins the gurning comp again! i did quite enjoy it, didnt think it was the most exciting course but actually there were some very tricky corners and i had a great tussle with someone who was slower than me out of the corners but much better than me into and around them. Lots to work on.
    Dave was very strong couldnt hang on to him and Iain would have been up there if he hadnt had a little lie down on the steps!

Its an interesting observation Jeremy and you are right that we have so many seniors that would be great at cross but yes you do kind of have to chose between a summer race season or a winter one (unless you are Jackie of course!) and most would choose summer whether its on the road or on the MTB. A few of the lads at todays hill climb said "thanks for that, see you in the spring" but the likes of Chris P, Matt P and well everyone really would be so good at cross. Also cross is such a family day out, people want safe off road environments for their kids and figure that they might as well do it as well.
    Of our ladies, Jackie and Emma are regulars and i think we have another 3 or 4 women that have ridden cross in the club but more would be great. It has been very noticeable and great to see this year that the womens race has really increased in size and one of the reasons the 50+ is selling out so quick.

If anyone is thinking about pinning a number on but hasnt quite plucked up the courage, cross along with club time trialling is probably the most accessible of cycle sports.
  • What gurning? :)