Welcome to the forum

Kettering X

edited November 2016 in Cyclocross/Offroad
Round 9 of the Central CX league was held at the Prologis Business park in Kettering on Saturday. A cold frosty but sunny morning was followed by a cloudy cold afternoon - proper winter. The previous week of changeable weather made the heathland course quite squirmy although still a long way from full on mud plugging. The organisers had made good use of the undulating terrain and woods to create an interesting course. The biggest challenges were a steep downhill that most bottled and walked down plus a long slippery off camber section alongside a football pitch.

Mark Ross rode the Novice men event achieving 11th place with some really good lap times. Looks like he would be very competitive in any of the categories. I think Mark's family were in action in the junior races. We didn't bump into each other at the event - hopefully next time.

This was my third Central League event of the season and I got gridded mid-pack at the start of the V50 race. I took my place behind a man wearing what looked like a world champion jersey so was expecting a good wheel to follow. Turned out to be a bad decision as he was slow off the mark and struggled to clip in. I touched his wheel and had to stop and watch 15 riders pass by. Spent the rest of the race playing catch up but managed to finish mid-pack.

Still learning about this CX malarkey and was pretty blown away with the array of bike cleaning equipment on show. Some guys had full on petrol-driven pressure washers. Fortunately there was a hosepipe to clean bikes but reckon one of these portable washers is a good idea. Any advice out there from the cognoscenti is appreciated.

Central League at Stanborough Park for me next weekend.

JP

Comments

• Excellent write up Jeremy.

I've got one similar to this...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi-v-17-portable-bike-pressure-washer/rp-prod46653 - I think I got mine for a similar price.

They’re not brilliant, but they just about do the job. I’m into my 2nd season with it, and from what I’ve heard from others I’ll be lucky if it lasts much longer. Mine gets plenty of use during the CX season though, ideal for a quick clean after a race before the mud starts to dry. It’s not going to get the bike spotless, but does get the worst off. The pressure isn’t too strong, so you won’t end up forcing grease from bearings either.

Steve
  • Hi Jeremy
    Would agree with Steve. Good enough to get just about clean enough for the next lap. Mine has developed a bit of a leak but am pretty sure that will be an easy fix.

Stuart
  • edited November 2016
    Thanks guys - just ordered one from Chain Reaction.
    Simply to get the muck off the bike before the journey home.

Just a thought but wondered if the club had sufficient funds buy a petrol driven washer for use by CCA members at races? You bring your own water and use it during and after races (or after your warm up if it is really muddy). Just did a quick Google and there are plenty of portable models on trolleys that would be suitable. Just need a man with a van to carry it around. I think I know someone!
  • Stuart. I fixed the leak on mine recently. Some plumbers ptfe tape round the thread and it's been leak free since. Fingers crossed...
  • Jeremy, I have a portable petrol pressure washer. I've taken it to a few races this year but have never really needed to use it. When it gets muddy I'll probably take it and you're free to make use of it if you want as is anybody for that matter. It is very powerful though so as Steve says it's best to go nowhere near your hubs or bottom bracket with it. I'm not sure about using it during races, most events probably won't allow them in the pits. I only have one bike so it's no good for me anyway.