Welcome to the forum

Regional Championships - Gravesend

On the way back from the ill fated Koksijde trip I was musing that UK CX circuits don’t feature enough, or indeed, any sand sections. The very excellent course at Broome Heath had some good sand sections, but sadly we are unable to use this course nowadays.

Happily today’s Regional Championships (Eastern versus South Eastern League) provided not exactly a beach holiday, but at least a very good sand pit to traverse. Held at the Cyclopark in Gravesend the course was varied and challenging thus the ideal combination for great racing. The start, and finish straight used the road circuit (up the hill). The subsequent descent back west was off road and had some great features including steps, a great section of tapped switchbacks and a hideous off camber bank to negotiate. I was grateful to Wednesday evening training sessions for the switchbacks as, for me, it was definitely better to carry my bike around the last turn. I was not brave enough to ride the off camber bank (I need more time with Nathan and Archie to learn to not have any fear). A sizeable run up, a pair of hurdles and the aforementioned sand pit resulted in a truly excellent course.

Mark Lightfoot looked like he was going well, but his progress was severely impeded with a puncture. Adam looked good in his race, as did Harley and also Sam Daniels looked to be storming. Ethan Storti looked good in his race. Peter (Daniels) and Mark Wyer joined me in the grown ups race. Have I forgotten anyone?

The event was well organised by the London Cyclocross League and their comedy chip timing system was present. This time the receiver gantry did not fall over on the finish line. I expect we will get results.

Comments