Welcome to the forum

CCA HARDRIDERS - 20m TT 14th March

edited February 2010 in Time Trial
Chaps
Tim Duckett is organising our own 20m TT - a double lap of CC Ashwell 10.
Let's make it a big event by turning up.

WHO'S UP FOR IT?

Comments

• Put my name down Tim.
    Cheers Robbie
  • I'm in. Going solo. Martin vs Martin.
  • i will be digging out my 53 ring tonight and giving it a polish - the mudguards will have to go!!
  • GET POLISHING THAT RING PHIL!
  • A couple of thoughts....

Firstly, all of you more experienced riders who do some racing, make sure you persuade/badger some of the race virgins. There are a whole bunch of pretty quick people out there who are reluctant to try a race (sportives dont count) but whom i KNOW would get a real buzz from it. Lets work on them!!

Secondly, i was thinking about times..our faster guys do 25`s, 26`s on the club 10`s and theres quite a few doing 27`s. Now, i know its in March, the weather will be wet and windy (hopefully), course is full of holes and its a bit over 20 miles (extra bit from finish to start, will hopefully get you a more accurate measurement before the event), but inside the hour would be nice wouldnt it? Im sure there will be a few who do it. A nice little group to be in eh?
  • robbie/tim
    never done any time trials but i dont mind giving it a bash this year i am sure you guys could show me the course and
    give me some good tips,pencil me in.
    strappy
  • i'll give it a go. likewise this will be my first ever time trial, and got no special tt bits or kit, and no tt technique for that matter, so could be a bit of a car crash (not literally hopefully!).
  • Nice one chaps.
  • edited February 2010
    Theo has agreed to 2 up with me, well he said 'Erh, okay'. After agreeing he asked 'What is a two up TT anyway?' I told him it is where the stronger rider leads and his (or her) father drafts behind. Daniel
  • Strappy, good on yer. The course starts in the lay by just north of the garage on the Mordens road. straight up in to Guilden, left at junction at bottom of high street, up to Wrestlingworth cross roads, left through the s bends up the drag to eyeworth , first left down northfields road back to Ashwell, left at junction and round again. finish is at bottom of northfields road by bluegates turn.

Stef, you really dont need any special kit, clip on tri bars help a bit but its a lumpy twisty course and well suited to a standard road bike. if you can ride on the drops for a while that would be good. Remember, its about trying to maintain your maximum, SUSTAINABLE speed. go too hard and youll be in oxygen debt and will be forced to slow down, if your looking at the scenery thinking what fun it is, then your not going hard enough. Its a bit of a balancing act. Really is a simple form of racing.

Daniel, i suggest you dont ride fixed if you dont want to get dropped on the first hill!!

Tim.
  • TIM'S 'BREAK THE HOUR CLUB' SETS THE CHALLENGE. NEEDS SOME WELLY TO DO IT....
  • I measured the course today (using accurately set up bike computer not CTT`s tape measure method) clocked the standard 10 as 9.98 plus .44 for the extra bit, making total of 20.40 miles.

also noted bad pot holes in Guilden Morden high street, coming down the hill into the s bends and the second half (ie Hertfordshire bit) of north fields road which is straight out of Paris-Roubaix. did see the hole filling team near Guilden (having a tea break) but dont expect much improvement on the day.

ill put this info out again when i post the signing on details etc.

TD
  • Northfields rd described as Paris Roubaix....could add some mud (more) and turn it into a Paris Roubaix Somme kind of thing!!! More of a challenge for the sub hour ride
  • like your thinking Sam, maybe increase challenge levels by adding some stray sugar beet , a crashed trailer and a few dazed cows wandering about. We could invent a whole new cycling discipline. great spectator sport.
  • Make sure it is mud Sam... not cow shhhhh
  • Don't think SAM'S vehicles know the difference Robbie
  • I might give this a go, I have a race on the saturday but nothing on sunday....sub 50 mins should be doable if the roads stay dry. What time do you start??
  • If you do a sub 50 - I'll definitely buy you a pint. (might slow you down for the next one!)
  • Andre, haven't you heard. Whoever happens to hold the course record (Oh that would be you) has to do the ride on a penny farthing, in a lycra thong, whilst singing 'oh what a beautiful morning' in a loud voice for both laps --- it's in the constitution you know !!!!

Cheers

Trahern
  • I plan to ride as a two up with Mark Constable as our times were not too dissimilar last year. Is it turn up and ride and are there any number limits for this (training) event?
    Sam along with the muck spreaders do you have a road sweeper in your cavalry? Would prefer not to use the cyclo-cross bike for this one.
    Tim D thanks for dropping off the hill champ award. Sorry Jane was in a bit of a rush or would have invited you in for a cuppa.
    Can I suggest you post details of time and any rules for the event shortly so we know when to turn up. Do you want to set up a list of riders to know how long the event will go on for? Could be a good turn out. Probably get more to ride if it starts just after the club rides would normally leave.

Regards,
    Vincent