Welcome to the forum

Track tubs

I've recently changed my track front wheel and shop has taped tub on. Looks neat. Will this do the job, reading about 'rolling tubs', but is that really likely??

Comments

• Sorry Mitchy: i) no ii) quite possibly!

And, assuming you'll be riding at the Olympic velodrome, the regulations there insist that you can't use tub tape but you must use rim cement instead.

See page 3 & 4 here for quite a long list of track bike specifications: https://yonder.e20.org/uploads/default/523/1bfbd7adc344d65d.pdf

Mark F
  • After posting I found the ruling on full gas website - better to find out now than after tub has rolled and I've taken 20 riders off! Back to shop today, hopefully will still have it for racing on Saturday! Thanks for looking for me!
  • I had to remove a tub from my 404 which I stuck on with Tufo tape and have to say it was one of the hardest things to get off ever!

Would like to know why tape is not deemed acceptable and some tests to prove it...
  • I've not seen any test results for tapes; just various glues. Conti and Vittoria Mastik 1 came top of that evaluation (by a university). Tufo tape is very strong indeed.

I guess it is easier for a track to specify glue in general rather than specific tape brands.
  • James you are quite right. I have taped my tubs and in 6 years have never had the slightest problem and have ridden thousands of laps. Tufo tape is the best and properly applied is faultless. I have seen glued tubs come off on grass and the velodrome so have no idea what their beef is. It's probably because people have not put the correct pressure in the tub. I too would like to see the proof of this decision.
  • Shop said it was a bitch getting the taped tube back off,- but rules are rules.... they are gluing it for me now, so ready to race for Saturday.
  • Good luck for Saturday Mitchy. I used to ride on Manchester with tape and never had any issues and i would be pretty comfortable using the tufo tape which i gather is super strong. Its odd really that glue is required as there is a lot of potential to get the glue wrong.
    I watched a mechanic change a tub at the Gent 6 a couple of years ago, took about 2 minutes, he put one layer of thin glue on the rim, wacked the tyre on which i assume was pre-glued, pumped it up to 200psi with a compressor and put it straight back on the bike!