Welcome to the forum

Cyclo crossmass - Berkhamsted

Great course today in the central league. Pretty much had everything. After a the start you were into mud then gravel pits which saw a lot of early tumbles, then round some nice off camber and lots of rear-wheel sliding. Lots more mud, woods then the bridge which was pretty doable this way. Then followed the sandpit, more muddy slippy turns and the difficult side of the bridge -a few managed to get up but most carried their bikes up (although several slid back down).

Great rides from Mark, Maisie, Joe and Archie B. Followed by the under 14s - Archie F ripped off his rear mech in a gravel pit (as did several other riders). Dave was top 20 in the Vets, I think, with myself and Dan chasing (well, not not really chasing - dave was well gone). Will turned up for his first cyclocross and had a great ride...on slicks...brave man.
Iain

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Thanks Iain - agree it was an interesting day! You beat me to it with the write-up. Here's my tuppence worth for what it is worth.

Well it had to happen eventually - MUDFEST. Despite the continuing dry weather the course was a real slog. Really slippery with a form of sticky mud that was perfect for clogging up your bike. My cheapo Kinesis seemed to fair pretty well based on what I saw of other riders on bikes from the bigger corporate brands. Reckon the riders with two bikes and a pit crew jet washing were at a distinct advantage. I resorted to riding with a small stick to declag in an emergency. Thankfully not needed.

The event was held at Ashlyn's school in Berkhamstead on their incredibly good sports field and woods. The course was pretty flat with all the classic CX obstacles/challenges: mud, off camber corners, sand pit (Daniel!), gravel, woods, hurdles, mud, a man made bridge with wicked gradients and did I say mud. It was definately a day for riders with good technique and experience. Dave Hadsley was simply in his element in the V40 and finished in the top 20 of a strong 70+ rider field. Good to see Dan Hall, Iain Foulkes and two new members (names?) riding the V40 too. All finishing with a big grin that CX gives you. There were some CCA Juniors in action with both Joesph Hadsley and Archie Foulkes suffering chain problems. Mark Ross and family also in action.

My own experience was mixed tbh and so different to the previous weekend. Still acquiring the technical skills and the course didn't have any decent hills or long flat bits that suit my style. Managed to head butt my handlebars and ended up with a thick lip. It was not for want of trying though until the bitter end. Was gridded mid-pack and finished mid-pack. Still finished with a big grin despite the thick lip!

A well run event in the Central League and a great course. Full results can be found at the link below and as always if you were there and i didn't mention your name - I apologise.

https://t.co/rZanJfJT5C
  • Really good course, as Iain said had everything, including that rarest of things this year, mud.

Not a huge amount of racing to be had despite the big field of 75 in the Vet 40s. The one guy I got in to a bit of a tussle with ripped his mech off in the gravel section leaving me to basically race on my own for the 2nd half of the race. Please with 19th though.

Jeremy raced in the vet 50s, here's a couple of pics with me messing about with the settings on my new phone.

photo IMG_20161218_1406201_zpsdfrulvl9.jpg

photo IMG_20161218_1807591_zpsitb3dgyv.jpg
  • That was very different to anything I have ever experienced before. I lost count on the number it times I fell off. Luckily all soft landings. Turned up with Nick Mingo and Will Richards, Will's first full race and what a place to start! Unfortunately Nick's rear mech was one of the many casulties lost to the gravel. His went on the warm up lap so he didn't even get to race. I finished 52nd which is a lot better than I expected. Lost a place having to clear mud from my bike but managed to get it back. I had a 50% success rate in the sand and like Jeremy also took a knock to the face when trying to climb up the ramp. I'm not sure Will will ever race again, he finished in a respectable 62nd. Nick hopes to make a comeback for the club champs.
  • edited December 2016
    Club Championships will be a mudfest - going to be interesting. Guess you only get better in the mud by riding in it.

Have a great Christmas everyone.
  • Oh, that all looks brilliant. A great looking sand pit and i didnt realise you went over the bridge from both sides. Well done to all for conquering it. Shame about the rear mechs though.