Welcome to the forum

London Phoenix Easter Classic 2010 entries now open - Bank Holiday, Monday 5th April

edited February 2010 in Sportives
a few of us did this last year, below is the link, I'm signed up for it :-)

http://londonphoenix.co.uk/pages/easter-classic/10/

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I've signed up.

Bit more detail...

It's easy enough to get to - not far at all from M11 J1. Good car park/HQ, and good going through the Essex lanes. A handful of CCA riders made it last year. I think we got Silver times and noted that Golds would mean quite a pace! I'd settle for Silver again. A week after the Cheshire Cat - 112km around Essex will seem a breeze! One to enjoy. 300 max - so sure to sell out. Robbie's signed up too - hopefully no 25mph crash for him this time. He's still got the charred bibs to prove it I notice.

LPCC email below;

Hi,

Just to let you know that following on from last year's sell-out event, the 3rd London Phoenix Easter Classic has just opened for entries. As last year places are limited so if you'd like to join us on the day, please sign up now!

Unlike many rides this one is easy to get to, starting from within the M25 at Fairlop Waters. We've got two fully signed routes on offer - 112km and 54km - and both will quickly take you out of the city into some of the most beautiful, quiet and unexplored countryside Essex has to offer.

Those on the longer route will be fed and watered at the half-way point, and as last year we'll also be serving our legendary, top secret recipe oat bars and other goodies. And as if the day couldn't get any better, we'll also be showing classic cycling films in the fully licensed and super swish HQ post-ride.

To find out more visit: http://londonphoenix.co.uk/pages/easter-classic/10/

Cheers, and hope to see you all soon!

Ken Iino
    Membership
    London Phoenix
    www.londonphoenix.co.uk
  • I have entered too. Hopefully I haven't forgotten any family plans! Daniel
  • top tip from tim!

keep your winter tyres on!!!

i didn't get silver as james Davis & I spent the first 15 miles repairing multiple punctures!!! Doh!! made a right mess of my new michelin pro 3's
  • Yes. I'm in again.
  • Will attend as last year to be tyre fixer for the big man!
  • I've just signed for this one too. Still 49 places left. don't miss out!
  • A few London mates have signed on for this too - so we might have a nice little gruppetto.

By the way - if anyone needs a lift - I'm sure between us there'll be room in cars. I can take 2 in my car.
  • edited March 2010
    Martin, I will happily accept a lift from you. Thanks. Daniel
  • Likewise, I can carry two others in my car, happy to drive.
  • edited March 2010
    Sold out now. If anyone still fancies it: get in touch with London Phoenix - there's bound to be some returns or option to risk it on the day.

Everyone all right for transport getting there and back?
  • So lets try and meet at 9am there.
    mb 07973 211579
  • If anyone else fancies this last minute, it's likely we'll have a spare ticket and a lift going between us.

I'll be there just after 9am. Registration ends 9.30am. Start is from 10am.
  • Aaaaaargh! Making it a habit puncturing under a mile from the finish. Enjoyed the day chaps. Thank you.
  • hope it was a good one guys... gutted couldn't make it & also for letting you down 8-(
  • edited April 2010
    The fun started at registration today. 'Oi Mark, wrong queue, you need to queue over there, A-F for Constable' goes Pete. 'Skelding... Skelding...' whispers Mark, cycling under Tim's ticket.

Mostly overcast - but dry down Harlow way. Very windy but warm. Turn out healthy. Lots from Dulwich, Team Rollapaluzza, Essex Roads - most London clubs well represented actually. Prolonged registration process and off just after 10am.

Ten of us in total: with mates in the mix. Too much of a stretch in abilities though and this quite quickly thinned. No problem. Getting out of the suburbs is a little tricky and the drivers around there more lippy. But soon into the lanes. Very much like our side of Essex - though some parts very tricky - tight turns and glassy tarmac. Me, Robbie, Mark, Daniel and Pete - Blue Train steaming along - 20 miles in and forming a tight group. Mark and Robbie [obviously] very strong at the moment. I've decided Mark will have an excellent TT season this year - watch out everyone! Especially, if 'Mary' is just in front of him...

After a bit of yoyoing, me, Robbie and Mark were left with a Raphered-up rider and a Dulwich fella at the front; Daniel and Peter taking it down a notch to another gruppetto. The pace was really pacey and not always easy in the fierce wind. It became quite intense and I had to shade behind Robbie a lot - who kept me in the group - cheers. Heading north east we got half way around to the feed station at 19.7mph av. I led the climb to the feed and was absolutely cross-eyed at the top. Not so Robbie who had now been bitten by the team time trial bug and was clearly buzzing. 'Let's s*d the feed and keep going!' insisted a wide eyed Robbie. But I really needed a quick flapjack [nice!] and sip of tea.

Four minutes later - Daniel and Pete rolled in. Barely had I finished snacking and we were off. Legs aching after part one. Miraculously, or rather via the power of gels, I found a bit of rhythm and kept up with Robbie and Mark. They kindly let me off the front too. We picked up a mate, Matt, who is training for a few triathlons, along the way to make it a four way pile through the second half. Not one rider passed us for the next 20-30 miles. We chewed a few up though and I did that thing Tim Duckett says to do of smiling and nodding as you go past like you're having a breeze - and watch their faces and pace fade into oblivion as they're psychologically crushed. After, you can then return to gurning like Bella Emberg.

Near the end cramp was setting in for me and Mark. Robbie, in full TT mode, flew off for a killer time. Near the end, a group from Braintree Velo blistered through like they were on a mission. More tree than brain, they missed the left turn sign too late despite my call - one made it, another went into a car and the other went over a kerb tyre exploding, wheel done in. Concentration til the end required.

Half a mile left, we met Robbie fixing two punctures - what a shame! He sent us on to get the best times possible. Mark and I came in around 35th/36th with Silver official times 4hr 5mins. Didn't look at bike computer for 'actual' times. Daniel and Pete came in soon after around 67th. Assuming most of the 300 turned up - pretty good all round! And Pete didn't fall off, to make it four for four.

71 miles, 18.6mph av for me and Mark. Free tea, coffee, Easter chocs in the cafe after. A grand day out, less than an hour's drive to the event. £5 to enter. A chance to mingle with other clubs. New, interesting lanes to spin along. It's good thing.
  • Excellent day fellas, and yes a PB for me, didn't fall off, not even once!
  • Nice picture - and kind words - from friend Matt we picked up half way. Left to right - Mark, me, Robbie.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moff/4496592576
  • This is so awesome, much respect guys!
  • edited April 2010
    Superman pulls on a special costume and, hey presto, has super powers. The CCA shirt has similar qualities and undoubtedly this got me through the Cheshire Cat last week; however there are limits to such powers.

If I am honest with myself I got a sense of how the ride would unfold in the opening miles. I was not in my comfort zone and soon having to work hard to get back in touch with the force field that was the Laughton-Law-Constable engine (they must have been directly metabolizing pure energy from some source). The elastic snapped before the first feed and Peter selflessly hung back for me.

I am enormously grateful to Peter for dragging my sorry carcass back to HQ. I did try to share the pace setting, but realised the only times I came to the front was going downhill. (I must have eaten the slice of flapjack laced with Krytonite.) As with all flat routes it is the hills which are the problem.

A fine ride and lovely to be routed in an unknown area by a local club. This is a bright gem of a ride, and just around the corner from us.

Maybe I'll wear my underpants over my shorts next time?
  • The gauntlet. Next year top ten. No aid station stop... p*ss at the back of the through and off (Just make sure you're off.) Let's boogie.
  • I was pondering this very strategy last night. Don't we have to get the cards stamped at the feed stop? How about rehearsing stopping as a group with two people dismounting one to get the cards stamped the other to grab a handful of flapjack. I reckon we'd be rolling again in a couple of minutes. Also not loosing 10 minutes against the clock at the start would be useful.
    This is the best early season motivation possible. Mind you we have the 2010 season to enjoy first!
    Daniel