Welcome to the forum

National Cyclocross Championships 2017 - Peel Park Bradford

Ever since taking Theo, Cameron and Luke Morgan to Peel Park in Bradford for a cyclocross event (years ago) I have wanted to race there myself. There’s this hillside which has an attraction stronger than gravity itself. So, when a mate Dave (Watson) told me he had entered this year’s National Championships, held at said park, I felt compelled to apply. I didn’t expect to get in, but I was offered a reserve place. As the date drew nearer it seemed increasingly more likely I’d get a ride. Simultaneously I was getting more and more worried about ‘YouTube’ hill.

The event itself took place on Saturday and Sunday this last weekend. Dave and I got there in time on Friday to get a few laps of the course done. This was valuable experience as at first it seemed impossible but by the time it was completely dark we were getting round (maybe because we couldn’t see the ground!)

Not surprisingly Dave and I found ourselves on the last line of the grid for the race on Saturday. Starting so far back was a double whammy as not only had we to ride further than the rest the start was uphill so further up a hill. Of course it made no difference really! The top part of the course was quite conventional and familiar to an Eastern League rider. By the pits though the off cambers were causing issues and the climb out from there was traction free hell. The mother of all off camber climbs returned us to the tarmac and then after a loop the dreaded hill. This descent was in fact not too bad as I tried to engage the super power of fearlessness I have been trying to learn from Archie and Nathan at the Wednesday evening training sessions. Another section of no traction bought the course to the second pass of the pits. On one occasion I tried to get into the pits but failed as the slimey off camber decided I should instead drift towards the fence. A long descent and a couple more hairpin turns bought us to the mammoth climb back to the finish straight. Then the next lap began and fun started up again.

Obviously it was a tough course but I have to say I loved every minute. My pit crew was totally awesome; thank you Shelton, Steve and Adam, you rock. My actual result is less important than the fact that I made up places from my grid position (for the record 84th of 87 finishers). I feel pleased as I could have made so many more mistakes than I did.

After the grown ups race the U16 girls took to the course and Harley proudly wore the blue jersey. I was in respiratory collapse during this time so cannot say anything about the race. She seemed pretty happy with herself after and came 15th from 27 finishers.

Later on Adam raced. These guys really go fast and Adam went like the wind. However I could tell he was not at his peak and he was clearly tiring by the end. Afterwards he explained he is getting over an illness; this course will expose any weakness like that. Despite this he finished 33rd out of 76 finishers.

Sunday saw the Juniors race and here Travis did battle. By the time I saw him he was further down the field than I would have expected. It turns out he’d had a heavy fall and was badly winded. I spoke to a bystander afterwards who was surprised he got up at all. Travis finished 37th of 48 finishers. A hard man.

So tough muddy conditions we have not really had to deal with this year in the Eastern League. I am really proud of the performances of our CCA riders and appreciate their determination and courage to do this race. Chapeau!

The winners of all the races showed amazing skill and athleticism, notably Evie Richards (U23), Tom Pidcock (U23), Nikki Brammeier and Ian Field; all these race on The Continent and it showed.

Check out Eurosport this Friday evening for coverage of the senior races. In the meantime there is some footage up on YouTube
Compare this to the Belgian National Champs held at Oostend (YouTube)
And snow in the USA!

Comments

• Great write up Daniel, sounds like quite an experience. I'll have to consider it for next year. The Belgian men's race was quite dull, course dominated by that bridge and sand and all over as a competition after half a lap.
  • Great report Daniel. And sounds like a cracking ride from you too.

Inspiring stuff for this weekend's Club champs... Frozen ground predicted at the mo... Will help some riders. And possibly rear mechs!