Welcome to the forum

Any info/tips on cycling in Costa Blanca

Just wondered whether anyone has done any cycling in the Costa Blanca region (Benidorm, Calpe, Denia, Albir, Alicante) and if so how was it and which region did you stay in? Has anyone ever used this company:

http://www.ciclocostablanca.com/en/hotel-cycling-breaks/

We have cycled in Mallorca before but now looking for something different - As part of my rehabilitation thinking that I might need to get back on a bike for the first time somewhere warmer and hire a bike given that I don't have one............

Thanks
Emma

Comments

• Emma

Calpe is where a lot of people go. The hotel that an post are currently staying at have 9 other teams in currently, for example. Popular.

My friend has a 20-man villa out there from now -> 24th Feb. I'm pretty sure there are still places available. Not sure about single/double rooms though. He's charging 175/week. I might be heading out mid feb.

Logistics are very easy, irrespective of the town you decide to make camp at. Regular coaches from the upstairs Alicante aiport bus terminal that are about 7-15EUR (pre booked online) that take you to the centre of each of the main towns up the coast; bike box goes in the coach hold. Whichever of the towns you stay at, really, you can get onto the nice mountain roads - Calpe is usually the chosen though - so I guess it is more convenient. Perhaps a bit less 'touristy' too. Full of expats, mind.

Flights very cheap, especially so on non peak days and times.

I've been there but was working not riding, I'm sure other people will have input though, I think a few cca people have spent time in the area!

*It's currently snowing* ... First snow they've had in 25+ years. But it will warm up again. Was late teens-very early twenties for me mid feb 2015. One rainy day out of 6. (Mountains/coast remember).
  • edited January 2017
    Great part of the world to ride. Perfect roads with a good mix of flat coast roads for easy days and decent climbs inland. I was there the week before last staying with this lot in the village of Benidoleig, near Denia. They had a good range of well maintained hire bikes that a couple of our group used.

There's definitely value in staying in a town though, if only for ease of supermarket access.

Also rode there last year. Happy to answer any other questions (or try to).
  • Ant is a good person to speak to, has a flat near there. I met with him for a couple of rides when my wife was racing in Benidorm. Nicest riding I've ever done, 5 hours on beautiful mountain roads, not one pothole and hardly any traffic.....I'd love to go back some time.