Welcome to the forum

Kettlebell for cross training

Anyone know what sort of weight kettle bell would be suitable for squats set out in the BC cycling specific strength routine?

A rough guide would be great

Comments

• GWDGWD
    edited February 2017
    Do you have a link to the workout?

When I do squat & row(upright row) I would use 24kg for 20 reps and 4 sets as part of a tabata circuit.
  • I think for Goblet Squat anything between 10Kg and 18Kg would be fine - personally I feel form would be compromised by the difficulty of holding on to a 24Kg kettle bell.
    For heavier weights I would say better to move into Barbell back squats.

Hope this helps
  • I agree with James, the limitation in goblet squat would be holding the weight (which isn't even the goal of the exercise).

I think I would adapt and use a "sumo" squat/deadlift stance (straight arm holding the kettlebell between legs). That will allow you to go heavier without fatigue in biceps first.

How heavy is very dependant on strength but with this segment I'd imagine the heavier end of the scale that James mentioned.

Just my opinion.
  • edited February 2017
    I can't hold more than a 24kg kb/db on a goblet squat, which is just not enough weight to squat with.

16KG is a good weight to start out with with KBs for most KB exercises if you're only buying one. It's still a decently heavy weight because of the pendulum effect you get on most exercises as opposed to DBs/BBs.

You'll want much heavier for squats/deadlifts etc

Obliques I'm now on 40kg KB/DB. Luckily my gym goes up to 100kg DB so I'm not having to keep buying more (and more expensive) weights as I get stronger.

So ^ Goblet squats are a good place to start, but when you start requiring heavy weights they are not the right exercise and are actually quite controversial.

Core is (in my opinion) 10-20% of cycling power generation. It's stunning how much your out of the saddle performance improves (you can literally feel it) when you have a strong core - especially obliques. Working core with bodyweight is great for the first few weeks, but as you get stronger you will need to start using weight otherwise you will not be increasing strength.

Coming back to KBs, there are loads of wonderful KB exercises - youtube is the best place - but be really careful with having correct form. I learned everything under the supervision of a certified kb instructor and it was well worth it.

This article is, frankly, pretty basic / useless. Just get on youtube and look for basic gym/workout routines.

TRX (or the cheaper alternatives) is a great thing if you only buy one piece of 'home gym' equipment. Amazing for core, useful for pistol squat progression. Not good for mass strength gain however, as there is no weight other than bodyweight involved. But for most people (myself included) you can get a hell of a core workout off of them. And you can buy cheap ones on amazon just search 'suspension trainer'. Well worth the investment. You'll be impressed by how much they make you hurt. Here are some trx core exercises.

Whenever doing any kind of core workout, be sure to always keep your core tight and straight - don't let your hips/lower back/bum sag and drop otherwise you will damage. Good form is the most important thing.

You have to remember that core is all around. Not just the front muscles targeted by sit-ups. Obliques (sides) are equally important and often forgotten. You'll notice huge improvement in them quite rapidly. The other HALF of your core is your back. Good core exercises work out both the back and the front of your core on the negative/positive movements

Good luck! This is awesome to hear. Too many cyclists neglect their bodies.
  • Try shovelling several tons of soil/sand/gravel twisting as you move it in to a wheelbarrow. Best obliques workout you can get. In fact come and work with me and I'll provide you with a free core workout!
  • like it DH. Too many people do gym and weights without considering everyday activities. I've never needed to do these. However, if you do then good form as Nat. stresses is vital. Not everyone does physical work so they need to do these if they are going to improve their core. I'm convinced however that some people are addicted to exercise above and beyond their needs. It's good to feel good in your physical self we all know that. Developing extra muscle that you won't use every day is pointless in my opinion. Anyone seen the sprinter Aryetee Aitkin or something. He has really worked on his upper body muscle. He won't need that much to sprint well and I reckon he is carrying 20 lbs or so of muscle which slows him down. I'd put money on him running faster if he lost it. Wouldn't be able to show off his body like he seems to do. Just a thought. Would be interested in others thoughts.
  • It's a fairly common myth that sprinters don't need to train the upper body. But that is a misunderstanding of where speed comes from. For the short distance sprinters form follows the function of speed development. No sprinter would develop their upper body out of vanity, it just turns out that way as a result of the need for Speed. No upper body means a slow start and an imbalanced weak stride. This is a decent summary

http://main.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/845/Five_Things_You_Probably_Didnt_Know_About_Sprintin.aspx
  • Tks Andy. I understand that and know how important it is for sprint. It's the ratio I am commenting on. It's only an opinion from observation. I still reckon he has gone way over what he needs purely to aid his sprint.
  • Almost ALL sprinters look like that and have a similar ratio. Even Bolt -- if he all the muscle he currently had were tacked on a a frame the size of Aitkin he would look just the same. He has absolutely NOT gone over the top, his physical form is the result of the functional needs of his sport. Simple fact. He knows he's not a body builder and so does his (highly experienced, knowledge, sprint-focused) coach. Like many sprinters, he does like the results I'm sure, and is a bit vain about it, but he didn't do it for that reason, neither does any sprinter.
  • edited February 2017
    This all sounds like serious training.