Welcome to the forum

CC London Hog With Occasional Hill race #1, 4 March 2017

edited March 2017 in Road Racing
Jenny crashed today at Hog Hill. The latest news I have is that it's just cuts and bruises, she's home and chipper. I'm really hoping all is OK, and not too long lasting there. Get well soon Jenny!

I turned up and couldn't see Dave W in his 4th cat crit, or Jenny spectating. So feared something wasn't right. In the warm-up, I caught up with Mitchy, now riding for Contour Cycles, and he confirmed what I didn't want to hear about Jenny as we approached the start line.

My original 3rd Cat race was merged with the 2nds a few weeks ago and I was given the opportunity of a refund. But I thought what the heck and, besides, it's all good training for the Tour of Malta. So I was the lone CCA rider, alongside Mitchy and Barron and lots of other great teams and riders that you see in the magazines and forums. JLT and Etixx logos. Youth. Slimness. Flippin'eck... I feared the worse.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend this series. Mitchy said afterwards it was the scariest crit he's ridden. It would be better to add the Hoggenburg every lap I think to temper the otherwise boing-ing super pace - but also to take out the ridiculous descending, bumpy dog-leg that you have to take if they want you to race around the circuit to avoid the hill and gate it to make it occasional. I think it's a silly idea.

The pace was brutal. My first 'Regional A' race and sort of as expected. No noticeable respite, with riders all around who have that ability to kick on, even when the bunch is in a thin line and at full pelt. It was really hard. After a few laps, I could tell I was a little in the red because I had a stitch, as we were gated to be sent up the Hoggenburg. I was actually quite happy climbing and think was the only one not out of the saddle. Maybe I should have pushed further - but I was super conscious of conserving energy. Anyway: it was sort of irrelevant. There was no rest at the top. The hammer went down big-time and we were 45 riders strung out straight away. It was soon after a few of us slowly but surely became detached off the bunch. When you starting being 'a bit sick' - I think it's the body's way of saying no. I had to back off. No bother, I thought: we'll form a second group and battle on - nicely encouraged to do so by the CC London organisers at the sidelines.

That was the plan. Then, I heard a thud from the bunch now just a bit out of reach, as it turned the silly corner. Sure enough, a rider had come undone here and faceplanted the tarmac. Ouch. I suspect it was near where Jenny had her crash. He couldn't be moved and the race was stopped on the next lap. After a few minutes, they resolved to adjust the course into a shorter loop, with no hill, and see off the second half of the race.

Being relatively flat now, if very windy, the pace went nuts in what felt like a second race. Thankfully, the riding standard was excellent. There followed five laps to average just under 28.5mph. One was 29mph. Even with drafting, this began to hurt, and I found myself near the back when the '5 laps to go' board went up. This time, it seems my companions from before had either clung on, or given up. So I solo TT'd the last three laps as the bunch pulled away again. I crossed the line last, to a round of applause! Properly done in, with the bunch a good 20-30 seconds ahead. But... happy to stick a 'Regional A' race on the palmarés. 37th (Or 12th out of the 17 Cat-3 riders). Mitchy grabbed 6th. He's flying. Pleased with the power: relatively. And not as scared of next week's 3/4 Spring Chicken CRRL open road race with Dave W (and hopefully Jenny!) next Saturday in Buckingham. Note: I think CCA's Travis, Tom King and Mat Porter are doing the Ike Saul 2/3/4 ERRL next Sunday - good luck!

Comments

• Great write up Martin, and great news Jennie is doing well. Good luck next week.
  • It was going to happen sooner or later...Someone cut in front of me, I think quite a few riders went down. So disappointed after a hard winters training, but glad nothings broken. Some kind of muscle damage to my shoulder, but will have to wait and see what that means. Can't really move it, so I'm guessing Spring Chicken is likely to be off the cards.

Thanks to Mitchy and Barron for their help...If you need someone to run up the Hoggenberg to fetch coats and bags, make it Mitchy! It's a shame Dave didn't get to do his race, despite me telling him to, somehow he didn't think it would look good with me still lying on the tarmac. Not sure on the state of the bike yet, at a first glance the frame and wheels look ok, the shifters will need replacing (anyone looking to sell some 105s?).

Great write up Martin, you'll have learnt more from yesterday than from the 3/4 races I'm sure. I can't help loving the bumpy dog-leg descent though! And great result Mitchy.

Well done to Harley for 4th in her race, who was miffed us oldies only had to do the hill occasionally. Thanks to the crash my race only ended up doing it once!
  • Hope it's not serious Jenny. Get well soon.
  • Get well soon Jenny. These are the stories that put me off road/crit racing ...& I'm a couple of stone too heavy.
  • Hope you heal quickly Jenny.
  • bad luck, jenny. hope you get well soon and bike damage not too bad.
    great write up and pics martin.
  • Hope you get fixed Jenny and nothing serious; I don't have any 105 shifters but however I have do have a small number of stabilizers, though be quick you twitchy roadies. Travis has reserved some already. :-)
  • Yes bad luck Jenny, hope you get body and bike sorted quickly and back up to racing speed - don't let this put you off!

Really enjoyed reading your report Martin, well done for hanging in there, those speeds sound amazing...