Welcome to the forum

8.30 GROUP SATURDAY 27 FEB

edited February 2010 in Club runs
Play this one by ear because of the weather.
With the Cheshire Cat looming in 4 weeks.. maybe hill training plus a shorter ride.

Comments

• Aye - feeling a bit behind where I should be for the Cheshire Cat.

So... how about this - is this nuts?

Take on all three of the big climbs out west; Sundon Hill, then Sharpenhoe Clappers and then Hexton Hill. You'd have to go down Sharpenhoe before turning back up it. Ten miles o' terror.
    Then thru Lilley. [Quick recovery feed at the Whitwell cafe? - I've never been.]. From Whitwell - break back thru Wymondly etc.
    62 miles total. But 3,000ft climbing. Half the Cheshire climbing, in two-thirds the distance - so a bit tasty.
    With a lower typical av speed - we'd be back about 12.45pm I reckon.
    http://tiny.cc/sunsharphex
  • sounds good to me... will start negotiations with the boss
  • Sounds perfect. Sundon Hill was virtually a track stand on my fixie so might go gears.
  • would be wise Robbie.........I'm so p****d off at the moment.........never had anything like this before and am going stir crazy.......envious of you b****rs

doubt I'll be cycling until mid March at this rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have fun
  • Looks like a nice day for a jaunt up some hills. Can count me in.
  • gonna have to drop out :-( negotiations went badly and am now doing Sunday ride
  • Weather looks ok for Saturday but...
    if it snows or is really icy, Geoff has booked Ashwell School for a 2 hour turbo session from 10am Saturday morning.

Looks more like snow on Sunday though if any others fancy coming to the darkside saturday ride.
  • Sat forecast: Sunny intervals, light winds, with strong chance of hills.
    Sun forecast: Heavy Rain, gales.
    Cold all weekend - but no frosts predicted.
  • hope to be there - only 4 weekends to the Cat and being mindful of how cr@p i felt after only 50 miles last sunday with martin, tim & tim, i need all the hills i can get!
  • given the lousy and unpredictable weather we have decided to have a 2 hr turbo/roller session this Saturday..........anyone with the kit welcome to join the group and enjoy their own pain in company

10 - 12 noon £2 each to cover the hire costs.cheers.
  • edited February 2010
    Well, yet another solid and gritty ride with plenty of climbing. Enjoyed it but like Alex, realised that one bottle of fluids is not enough for over 70m.
    Hill stats anybody? (for Carmello!). Next Saturday I'm racing the Ballbuster Duathlon at Box Hill so won't be out. Can someone post a route etc

cheers ears.
  • Stats i recorded were 62.44 miles, average 16 mph,ascent 3140 feet,
    this will be less than you as i came back a shorter route.
  • edited February 2010
    8 out. Me, Robbie, Jon S, Alex, Phil A, Phil K, Peter, Malcolm. Spring is here - the sun between showers was warm! The hills were fun. Yep - Alex was right; Sundon is only 20% for about 3ft near the grit bin apparently... The rest is 15-16%. Alex reckons Ventoux has a Sundon ascent for 5 miles. Get that triple on.
    The bonus bit was the short descent down the A6. Quick and a great view. We lost Jon soon after the hills with his fixie rattling away. We decided to skip the Whitwell break for an extra few miles east. Maybe we should have stopped to take on fluids and stop the foot cramp me and Phil K got later on. Phil A, Alex and Robbie led away from Walkern. The extra miles avoided more climbing so we came in just over 70 miles, 3150ft climbing, 16.5mph for me and Phil K. Felt like a tough ride but a good challenge.
  • Malcolm and I admitted defeat at Rabley Heath and made our way back through Old Knebworth and Stevenage cycle paths, I peeled off at Letchworth and recorded 67 at 15.7mph. Malcolm journeyed on 'til Ashwell. Thanks for the beasting, and a special thanks to Alex for the inclined assists!
  • To add further controversy to the Sundon Hill debate, have a look at this interesting document: http://www.mikeclarke.myzen.co.uk/1920s%20test%20hills.pdf
    under Sundon Hill!
  • COOL link! Vale Street, Bristol is identified as being 1:2.5..........and here's a photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/48028479@N00/1313946806/
    Whilst I have not ridden Sundon Hill on a fixed (70") I have ridden Sharpenhoe Clappers (I reckon that's steeper). I work in Bristol so will check out Vale Street; not sure my tendons will cope with an attempt on my fixed wheel machine. Daniel
  • If you scan down the list of hills for your favourite you will see that Bwlch-y-groes is 1-in-7 average and climbs 1250 vertical feet. They put that 110 miles into the Dave Lloyd Mega last year. Apparently it has made seasoned professional cyclists cry. I'll admit that it was quite tough. But maybe Sundon Hill is harder.
  • Anyone who is interested in wasting an hour or two finding hard climbs can check out this site: http://www.climbbybike.com/index.asp

When Mont Ventoux is ranked only 125th hardest climb in their list you know there will be some serious climbs at the top.

Anyone doing the Etape du Tour should have a look at what is in store for them: http://www.climbbybike.com/tour_de_france_2010.asp. The Tourmalet is 19km at 7.4% with the last kilometre above 10% average. But it will be OK because of the 173km warm up.
  • hahahaahaaaaaaaaaa.............boody warped sense of humour......miss the rides Alex.......got on bike and walked a bit properly, first time in 4 wks. so hopefully on mend......lost muscle big time.....doubt I'll be doing this sort of stuff for some time....ho-hum