Welcome to the forum

Battle on the Beach 2017

Good luck to our 2 intrepid (possibly a tad disturbed) riders Daniel and Dave who are taking this on at the weekend on some beach a long way away in Wales. Apparently a huge massed start beach race on the Sunday, preceded by a night time TT on the saturday and most distessing, camping...in March!
er. good luck. Daniel was getting stressed about whether the 11 sprocket was going to be enough but not sure if this was for the rear or the front.

https://battleonthebeach.co.uk

Comments

• Thanks Tim. Practice lap on the beach was blissful; warm, blue skies - just perfect. 11x38 is a great gear. Saw a single speed fat bike!

Enjoying the afternoon sun on the campsite now.
  • What! could it be that camping in Wales in March isnt going to end in hypothermia?
  • Nah don't believe it, it's bound to rain. Think it's some sort of Welsh law ;)
  • Sitting outside right now at 20:30 waiting for the pasta to cook.

The stars above me are like jewels.
  • Dave and Daniel had somehow convinced one another it would be a good idea to head to South Wales for The Battle on the Beach. This is billed as fast and fun; comprising a swift outing down a sandy beach and then back through varied terrain.

It was in reality a mountain bike event welcoming any bike really. There were many mountain bikes, many cyclocross bikes, many fat bikes and 3 tandems (one being a marvelous fat bike example).

The accommodation of choice was the event campsite. Some regular contributors to this forum scoffed at the notion of camping in Wales in March; but I can assure that for those who are prepared to carry their homes it was very satisfactory and sociable lodging.

The racing was in two parts. Part one being a night time time trial. We were set off in 10 second intervals and once across the soft dry sand were bowling along the hard wet sand. Strangely serene as it was a calm night and the stars were out to keep an eye on us. On your own you had your pace to focus on and avoid the debris of the beach (I am sure I saw a squid). The sound of one’s tyres crunching the shells was spooky; I hope no gastropods were injured in the the process. One just had to concentrate to winkle out the last bit of speed from top gear.

Once off the beach there was an uncomfortable section of undulating lane, which at least we had ridden before in daylight to familiarise ourselves with the route. In fact we had familiarised ourselves with the wrong route and the TT took a different way which led to an uncomfortable journey of discovery as one’s tyres found soft sand, ruts, ridges and roots. The final section was single track through the woods, a section in daylight which would prove good fun, but in the dark was terrifying.

The main race attracted many more racers than the TT and comprised three laps (this time in daylight). The atmosphere of 800 or so riders gathered on the beach was jovial but the banter clammed up as the start time approached and our focus became razor sharp. Once in motion the artform on the beach was to cling limpet-like onto someone’s wheel and hope ones mussels wouldn’t seize up. The dreamlike hell of the previous night’s time trial was exposed by the bright sunshine and sections of grass could be welked out and ridden on.

So a thoroughly enjoyable weekend helped and aided by brilliant Welsh weather and fine organisation.

For the record:
    Dave, 1:51, 186th overall, 78th fastest youngster
    Daniel 2:09, 339th overall, 44th fastest grown up

Dave and Daniel
  • This was awesome to read. Camping sounds like the absolute right way to do it!

Thought oyu'd be interested ......

My friend made a video of the event...... https://www.facebook.com/KinesisUK/videos/1530025287016933/?pnref=story
  • It took place where i grew up in Pembrey country park