Welcome to the forum

Grass track wheels

Hi All, just wondering what wheels the grass trackers recommend, planning a full grass track season, and was thinking of upgrading my wheels that came with Giant omnium, or at least having a spare set, so when the inevitable crash and buckle occurs I can continue my days racing (ever the optimist!) Mitchy (ps It's nearly grass track time!!)

Comments

• Sophie has Kenda Karv tyres on pista navigators for the grass. She has eclipse wheels for the hard track but I have not been particularly impressed by the mavic elipse wheels. I don't think it is worth going carbon for the grass as the wheels take a hammering. There are photos on Facebook of Andy Leveton (ex CCA and current national grass track champ) riding a carbon mavic disc and five spoke at the grass track Southern Games earlier this month but he was representing GB!
  • There is a grass track GB team!?! Thanks for the advice on wheels.
  • Hi Mitchy
    I've got a set of Halo aerorage and a spare set of Miche track wheels - nothing fancy.
    You should go for grass track GB!
    i.
  • Cheers Ian, I'll have a look at those!
  • I cant decide on tyres, ive got cheap miche pistard wheels which are fine but theyre tubular and tyres need to be less than 30mm to fit in the frame. Currently running tufo 28mm cx tubs but found them very ungrippy last year and 1 of them is punctured.

Grass supremo Martin Smith was using some sort of Dugast or Challenge Paris Roubaix tubs i think and he goes twice as quick as me so might try those but they are pricey. If my wheels were the clincher version i would go 28mm kenda karves probably.

Anyway i better get on with it!

Oh and Mitchy for GB grass for sure!
  • Similar question from a grass track newbie, got a bike from Terry D. with Navigators and Vittoria Cross XN Pro Cyclocross Clincher Tyres. Will that do the job? I think Richard said the Navigators probably weren't up to it!
  • Hi Andy
    I rode those tyres last year and was fine. Also have a set of Tufo grass tubs - not sure they make them anymore though.
  • I have some Tufo file tread tubs (aka grass track tubs) going spare. Let me know if you are interested.
  • I was using the Vittoria XN pro in tubular form for the last couple of years. Really nice tyre that rolls exceptionally well and offers enough grip at the right pressures. I'm selling them to another club member because I'm getting out of the gluing game.

I've bought some Halo Aerotrack clinchers to replace them and will be using Challenge Strada Bianche (30mm) road tyres on them with a latex tube. In my opinion tyre volume and suppleness of the casing is more important than tread. As Tim says Martin Smith uses a similar tread (or lack of) on a Dugast tub, really supple which helps the tyre conform to the uneven, often hard, ground giving good rolling resistance and grip, especially at the lower pressure you can run on bigger volume tyres.
  • Cool thanks! What pressure is optimal?
  • Excellent Will try to get down to the track for a bike check ride ahead of next Monday.