Welcome to the forum

My crash

I unfortunately crashed at herne hill whilst racing in the youth omnium series. If anyone that was there has or knows anybody with pictures/footage of the crash, please send it to us if possible.

Nathan.

Comments

• Hope you are feeling OK Nathan and not too badly injured
    Jackie
  • I didn't take any videos or photos of the boys race, sorry. I also turned away as the crash started to unfold, I just couldn't watch, so cannot give you any info as to why it happened. One of the Herne Hill parents mentioned something about an inexperienced VCL rider who probably should not have been racing. She said that if the coaches had been asked about him racing in the regional omnium then they would have said no. There was a general discussion afterwards though about riders with their heads down. The speed did not seem to be high but riders still seemed to spend a lot of time with their heads down, and not just in the under 14's race. The under 16 girls were the same. I was thinking about this yesterday, and was wondering whether the pressure to adopt a good "aero" position may be contributing. A lot of the youth B boys ride with very low bars, compared to the seat height. They try and emulate the positions of the older boys but don't yet have the skill of the youth A's.

For those that haven't heard, poor Nathan was one of 7 riders taken to hospital after a bad crash on the track. He now sports a top of the range titanium plate on his collarbone! The other riders had broken legs, collarbones, head injuries/unconscious so all pretty awful.

A useful piece of advice though if you are ever involved in a large crash like this - stop for a moment and look around at all of the casualties. If they are screaming/moving then their airway is probably ok and they can be left for the moment. It's the still, quiet ones that you go to first.
  • Eeek, sorry to hear about this Nathan. Im sure for you its painful and frustrating but i know you are a tough lad and will be back on the bike and just as fast in no time. chin up!
  • As a coach and a parent we are all trying our best to put older responsible heads on young shoulders. The trouble is that we all know that beyond a certain point it's not going to happen. Youth is basically fearless and it's never going to happen to you. You will mend Nathan and if you still love the challenge, excitement and speed from racing your bike you will come back stronger and wiser. Once the race head is on and the red mist descends it's all about the moment and the break and the positioning and the finish the rest is a blur of pain and joy. Really good sound advice from Doc. and worth taking to heart. It could save someones life in any situation. We all know some accidents might have been avoided if only ..... but 20:20 hindsight only helps us to look out for something similar in the future. Maybe a more stringent selection process before the race would help but if someone is unlucky or makes a mistake and loses it in front of you then there is little chance of avoiding the inevitable. Despite the knocks and breaks there is still little else that returns the thrill when it all comes together right. Keep cycling. There's little to match it.
  • Nathan - heal well my friend.
  • After Sunday night in Kings Hospital and an operation first thing Monday morning Nathan is now bored after 1 day off school.

I've been sent a photo taken at the start of the crash showing a VCL rider clipping the rear wheel of one of the Welwyn riders. Looks like as the race slowed and came back together after an attack some didn't slow as quick as the rider in front. Apart from one rider being unable to see round all the others were looking forwards.
    I know there were inexperienced riders on the track but the kids want to race so once the entries are accepted, unless there is deliberate dangerous riding, it's down to relying on training and observation to keep out of trouble. Then stuff happens and you end up on the floor anyway.

The helmet did it's job, and the base layer saved a lot of road rash, but a new CCA top is needed before racing again.

Nathan has a good recall of the crash, and the photos have filled in some gaps. It's looking like 8-10 weeks before he gets back on the bike but I know he's looking forward to getting back out there.

We'll see you at training or a race before then though.

Neil
  • Unfortunately this will happen. In my experience crashes happen for whatever reasons in races of all ages/abilities. You only have to watch the "highlights" of one of the grand tours to see what the pros go through. I've seen some very experienced riders pulling themselves out of hedges when they've just taken a corner too fast on a circuit, it happens to us all. Great advice from Doc Lewis about going to the people that can't call for you first of all though, important stuff. Fingers crossed it won't happen to anybody anytime soon.

Get well soon Nathan! Proper cyclists injury, that one. I've had a bit of metal in there in the past, Carmelo had one too and I should imagine there's plenty more in the club who've undergone similar surgery. Adam Swan had much worse and is back racing this season (and generally loving riding a bike) so it won't put you off. My first question to the surgeon in my post-op was "when can I race my bike next?" I won't tell you what the surgeon recommended...
  • Nathan. So sorry to hear of the injury, relax, eat sweets and recover now.

Like Will said, I had a bit of a tumble last year. I came back stronger. Quickly. Sure you will do the same. My advice would be to get back on the turbo asap. That's what I did and I was able to maintain a good level whilst I was in a sling.

The ORIF of a clavicle comes with a few complications - mainly sleeping! I'd be more than happy to speak on the phone or meet for a chat if I could help and talk you through my recovery. I used Buryhill clinic in Hitchin to help my recovery. I'd say physio is very important. When I was in a sling I lost a lot of strength and physio helped me a lot to regain strength. The massage of my rotator cuff muscle also eased a lot of pain.

Lastly like Will also said. My crash made me love my bike even more. I appreciate it every day now. I think sometimes we forget that cycling is fun. You'll be back.

Call me if I can help in anyway. Be happy to chat. And get some Bio Oil for the scar, you need to stretch the skin asap.

Best wishes. Adam.