Welcome to the forum

St.Ives3/4 Road Race Sunday 7th

Had a crack at this one today, as did Mat Porter and Ed Nelson. Tom (King) was supposed to on the start line but elected to give it a miss due to a very nasty sickness bug we've all had this week taking all the strength out of him. If anyone reading this note has also fallen to this one, doing the rounds apparently, you'll know what I mean, it's unpleasant.
Anyway, made the start line (they were using the Monks Wood Circuit) and held on for 8 of the 8 & 3/4 laps before I realized my power had packed up and I had to trundle home off the back for the last lap with no company. It's a tad lonely when that happens and a bit frustrating when you can see the bunch 1/2mile up the road most of the time!
The race ended up at 104km, with an average speed of just under 40km/hr, so a decent effort.
After 3~4 laps a bunch of 8 riders tried to make the break, but the peloton duly put the power down and we caught them up. It stayed together then until the end, although I didn't see the sprint finish so no idea who won. All the excitment was done by the time I trundled over the line. Didn't see Mat or Ed at the finish so not sure where they ended up.
It was a good blast out (it takes around 9km to get to/from the actual race circuit) and great opportunity to put in some distance. Wind was a factor, and probably the main reason why there wasn't a more concerted effort to make a break and I did learn to put the effort in at certain points to make sure I could take some protection when we turned into the wind. Even so, I think the week caught up with me at the bell and my body said, OK, enough now...you need to go home and lay down for a bit...fat chance!

Comments

• Yep - I had a go.

It was my second attempt at a proper road race... the bunch certainly let me know where my weaknesses are. Then spat me out the back!

But, I really enjoyed it. And it is clear that I need to work on my positioning into & out of the corners - especially in the wind. I left myself exposed to the wind far too often & subsequently had to work really hard to stay with the bunch. Too hard, as it turned out - so I got dropped.

Unlike my first race, I came away really positive. It was a significant improvement on my last attempt, and I can see where I lost out (and hence what I need to work on).

There really is nothing like racing in a bunch. Fast / aggressive / exhilarating / hard etc. Already looking forward to more!

Mat

• Inspiring stuff fellas... well done! I'm now seeking out the ERRL Reg B road races to see which ones I can do. We should let each other know what we are doing.

I've applied for the Peterborough CC Alston 3/4.... but have a feeling it will be massive oversubscribed. 2 July.

Hopefully see you both on a chaingang soon to talk more. After the chaingang. Not during...
  • I've also now applied for the Mid Suffolk RR, Sun 13 Aug.
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/156306/Mid-Suffolk-Road-Race

And the Orwell Velo RR in Suffolk too, Gosbeck, Sun 10 Sept.
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/154993/Orwell-Velo-Road-Race

Both are ERRL Cat 3/4 Regional Bs.

I think these races will fill up fast if not already. So climb on board now. Something to aim the chaingangs at. It would be great to have some team mates if we all get in.
  • Good to see Ashwell racing on Sunday. Both Richard and I were marshalling. That hill by the finish looked hard!

Just learned that there will be an evening race on the same circuit as Sunday on July 11 starting at 19:00
  • Evening race is actually on Tuesday July 11th at 7pm - I will be rushing from work to be the Assistant Comm
  • Tom and I are in for the mid-Suffolk and will see if we can squeeze in a couple more in / around that one. Tom has his power tap fitted to his rear wheel now so will be keen to hook up for the chain gang rides (want's to see how far off the turbo is from reality) - when are these planned for?