Welcome to the forum

Fred Whitton Challenge

edited May 2017 in General
i was lucky to get a place in the ballot to ride this sportive in the Lakes on Sunday.
Executive summary: an amazing event, you should ride it.
112 miles and 3900 metres climbing.

why so good? the scenery and climbs are amazing, the marshalling was superb - multiple marshalls at junctions and at other places where the road narrows etc, stopping traffic (allegedly), shouting you on, giving clear directions - very impressive.
although it wasnt advertised they also closed the road over hardknott and wrynose so no traffic on that bit.
loads of people out supporting from the roadside with cowbells, loud music, kids handing out haribo's (yes that's right - kids were giving sweets to adults...), high-fives etc.
the ride is very well organised but like the etape du dales retains the feel of a community/club event*
the standard of riding was very high, sensible, good positioning, lots of communication, chat etc
superb weather - it was dry, sunny and hot - they were handing out sun cream at the feed stations **
feed stations - loads of homemade sandwiches, fruit, cakes, tea, coffee etc.
free lager, glass tankard and a hot meal at the finish

this was unlike anything else i've ever ridden... although the highest climb (Kirkstone) comes after only 6 miles and was tough early in the morning when it hadnt warmed up yet, the first 40 miles are actually pretty straightforward. but then you get 3 brutal climbs and steep descents in the space of 15 miles... then some lovely rolling countryside and more climbing before Hardknott and Wrynose at the end... Hardknott pass is tough at any time but after 95 miles... most people were walking, the gradient is brutal. i managed to stay on the bike (thanks Flamme Rouge!) dodging the walkers but it was nerve wracking HRmax stuff. and the descents... you have to have the brakes on hard and still feel like you are going to go over the bars. only saw 1 crash but it did look a bad one. impressive though, like the Etape du Dales they spend a lot of time warning you about the dangers and people really take notice and ride sensibly.
one of Mitchy's uni mates said hi at a feed station and bumped into Tim Fisher at the finish, taking photos for a project linked to the Lakes seeking UNESCO world heritage status.
did have one jelly baby mechanical - turns out i'd stepped on one at the feed and accumulated sticky gravel on the cleat...

any negatives? just the showers at the end (cold and grubby... dont bother) and the traffic getting out of the Lakes on a Sunday afternoon... but not really their fault.

* the organisers have recently teamed up with Human Race but every indication is that they will keep the traditions of the ride intact. it is a bigger event than the Dales ride, but doesn't feel in any way corporate
** this report may not have been quite so positive if it had been wet, cold and windy...

will let the pics tell the full story, but if anyone wants to know more can fill you in - but you should ride this, definitely.
from the FAQ, they wernt kidding..
signs (spelling...)
climbing Kirkstone early in the morning
derwent water
scenic feed stops

is plaid the new lycra? discuss...
these 3 climbs in the space of 15 miles was interesting... honister, newlands and whinlatter
official hardknott photo:
at the top:
descent looks OK here, it wasnt:
the free lager at the end... and tankard. it was alcohol free - and tasted wonderful.. but anything cold would have too

Comments

• top biking stef - congrats on getting up hardnott....

super lucky on the weather - that kirkstone picture is great
  • Yes, great work Stef. Getting up the Hardknott on its own is quite a challenge let alone the rest of it! That doesnt look like the same Lake District that i remember though, whats all the blue stuff?
  • Fantastic write-up Stef. Amazing achievement. Unbelievable weather. I've only ever really known rain in the Lakes.

The Fred Whitton has been on my to-do list for a long time. Inspiring. The tankard is a proper trophy. Good idea for a CCA Classic prize.
  • Great pics!
    I did this ride last year (I am very keen to do it again, but was not successful in the ballot this time).

Everything Stef said is true. It is great. And brutally tough. But very friendly. I went up on my own, but chatted to loads of people before, during & after the ride.

The only downside for me was that the people pushing their bikes up Kardknott were not paying attention to those still riding (making me fall - clipping back in is just not possible on that gradient). So extra kudos to Stef for managing to dodge that lot!

I will definitely be trying to enter again next year.
  • Great report Stef. The Lake District is an extraordinary part of the world and all the more so when the weather is kind as your stunning photos show. Hardknott and then Wrynose are colosal climbs; chapeau.

Pleased the bike worked out well for you!
  • Good to see you Stef and congratulations on completing the event, and greetings to all in CCA.

"..the Lake District, when it is fine, and it is at least that, is surely the most beautiful place on earth." Bill Bryson, 2015, in his most recent "Notes from Little Dribbling".

Keep an eye out in the press on the last day of July as the national park have applied (Nov 2015) for UNESCO World Heritage status and we will receive the verdict that day. V exciting times.

As you might know, I so fell in love with the Lakes that I put my ££ where my proverbial mouth was and moved to Keswick 18 months ago.

If you're interested in more images of the region: www.timfisher.co.uk

Maybe see more of the Blue Train here next year?

• hi Tim
    good to hear from you. Keswick is a fine place. Jeremy is in Penrith. Glad you are still active but not in the cycling way I guess. Drop around some time. I have spare bike and kit if you ever feel the urge :-)
  • edited May 2017
    Screwed physically, bikes sold, walking the fells with a camera but radial tears in both knee cartilages (meniscus), one major op' one on the back-burner. Trekking poles, be praised!

Just glad I did what I did whilst I could. The older I get though, the better I used to be!

PS - I stalled just past the "bendy" picture above, on a 100lb bike (all up), on Hardknott, the only hill to defeat me on my 5966 mile ride. It still irks me!
  • sorry to hear that Tim. Hope the ops. work for you. glad you are still getting around though. Bad enough getting up there without that load.
    Great graphic Stef. The shorter the base line the worse the climbs look. Are those signs accurate cos that means the climbs were 1000ft at top starting at about 200 ft..