Welcome to the forum

ECCA 50 E2/50

edited May 2017 in Time Trial
10 Chris Potter CC Ashwell 1:48.20 27.692mph

So the big one, my first 50, and a trip into the relative unknown. Will informs me the club record is up for grabs and I'm on a fast course, no pressure. The morning is spent doing a gentle parkrun to wake me up, followed by scoffing Tuna Pasta and pacing nervously. I get to the start in reasonable time and decide not to bother with the turbo. Neck a gel and half an energy bar then ride along the A11 to the start is enough for me. I have 4 gels in water between my arms and a rough idea of pacing. Finally its time. Off down the tight start slip road and onto the A11, and a block headwind. I settle in for the afternoon and im soon up to speed. 290W appears to be what the legs are saying and i go with. Get to the turn, photographer doing his bit. HELLO TAILWIND. The next 35 mins rushes by at almost 31mph, and im soon off the DC and on the little out and back section. This is my first taste of the headwind to come. It sucks. My head hurts. Helmet is too tight. A quick fiddle as i go round the next RAB eases that. Back on to the A11, here we go. The headwind is miserable but its time to make count. Getting uncomfortable now. Shoulders and neck sore. A14 comes and goes, out of the saddle for 10 revs as I join the A11. Power still constant at 290, it just hurts more. Try to lift it as I go through Six Mile Bottom for the final 10. But the right Hamstring is having none of it. 4 miles then final tailwind. Keep going. Wind has dropped a bit. Final turn..lets go now. Everything for 4 miles. Get to the slip road.. bloody finish is further back! Sneaky. Across the line. 289w average 290NP for 1:48.20. Can barely sit down. I believe a CCA club record

2 burgers and half a bottle of red for dinner. Small matter of the North Norfolk 100 next week and ECCA 25 champs the week after

Comments

• edited May 2017

Cant seem to upload the excellent picture taken. Nevermind.
  • Great stuff Chris, well done. Sounded hideous!
  • Awesome Chris
  • Well done Chris, sounds horribly tough apart from the burger/red bit
  • Here's your pics Chris... They're too good not to share! It seems Instagram doesn't like its pics to be shared - so I uploaded them through imgur.

Great write up. I can imagine what was going on in yer head: but can't imagine what it must be like to hit that power and those speeds. Amazing.