Welcome to the forum

Ladybikes

A friend of mine is looking for a bike to commute a few miles on each day. Ideally a hybrid, she's around 5'3 and not a big bike rider so not looking for anything too scary, but not a big heavy thing either as she has to lug it up some stairs at work and at home. Also, with a budget of around £300 she won't be getting anything too scary.

It's not really something I know much about so I was wondering if anybody in the club could either recommend something or if anybody's getting rid of a bike that might be appropriate...?

Advice gracefully received.

Much Ta,

Will

Comments

• Hi Will,

My first road bike was a Btwin which was great value at £300 and got me round a couple of years of club runs before I upgraded.

My friend has the flat bar Triban 500. She is purely a leisure cyclist and finds this suits her well. This is a strange mix of road bike and hybrid, but seems lightweight compared to others friends' hybrids, and doesn't have the scary drop handlebars of a usual road bike. At £260 it gets cracking reviews http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/btwin-triban-500-flat-bar-road-bike

I guess at 5'3 your friend might need to check the sizing carefully, tell her to go and try some at Decathlon to get an idea. Good luck to her!
  • go to be a Brompton if she's hauling it up stairs and only doing a few miles either end. Shuold be able to pick something up second hand for less than £500.
  • Hi Will,

My family is currently selling a lovely ladies Dawes hybrid with a small frame. It has lightweight Reynolds tubing, very good quality components and rides very nicely. It would be perfect for commuting. It's been very lightly used, so in great condition and hers for under £200!

Please let me know if she would like to test ride it?

Cheers
    Steve