Welcome to the forum

CLUB 10; IMPORTANT PLEASE READ

Hi Testers.
This is our second season on the new course and overall i think most will agree a big improvement over the old course in terms of safety. We knew that the tricky corner would be at Toll Bar, hence why the risk assessment called for a marshal there.
Now, we still seem to be having a few problems there, we've had some complaints and most marshals have witnessed big no-no's such as crossing the central white line, not looking right, pulling out in front of passing traffic and generally taking unacceptable risks. This from experienced and unexperienced riders alike. This is a junction with a main road and you have to give way. Having spoken to James, our primary concern is the safety of riders and other road users so we think we have 3 choices going forward..

1. Find a new course with no corners that require thinking about. Having spent a lot of time looking for courses locally this will be unlikely to be very nearby and unlikely to have the conviviality of Guilden VH.

2. Adopt a foot down policy. This apparently happens sometimes in Triathlon and would require every rider to stop, unclip one foot and touch it on the ground regardless of whether there is any traffic. This would be monitored by the marshal.

3. Everyone stops taking any risk at all at this junction, demonstrates that they are responsible, awesome cyclists and remember that safety comes before trying to scrape a few seconds off a mid week club 10.

I suggest that we start with option 3 and work up the list. Thanks everyone and stay safe!!

Comments

• 99% will take notice and adjust....1% will always take a risk. Serious testers will always try to shave seconds.
    You need to back this sensible approach (no. 3 ) with the marshall reporting anyone transgressing and unfortunately they need to be automatically banned from any future club 10. Unless you have the stick with the reasonable approach there is insufficient incentive .
    For their own safety, the proper adherence to the highway code, other road users perceptions and the club reputation you need to be firm. Good luck.
    The club TT's are so popular and everyone is doing so well it would be a tragedy for a fatality or serious accident to put an end to the event.
  • Would it be worth having a name and shame policy at the discretion of the toll bar marshal for offences. First offence a warning (depending on severity) and then potentially a ban if repeats occur. The one time I was marshaling here, I was giving specific instructions to slow down if there was potential for a car to be near by, but also waving clear if there was nothing even in site round the bend, though obviously still up to the rider to make a judgment call. Don't know what the feelings are on that though
  • GWDGWD
    edited June 2017
  • Chris raises an interesting point - I have given the same instruction to riders when marshalling Club events. TBH it has helped keep me engaged and focused on the task. CTT regs indicate that organisers should appoint marshalls to indicate direction only. I'm thinking that whilst well meant our instructions can promote risk taking and indeed offer an unfair advantage to riders who get a clear run. The potential for miscommunication also adds an extra risk. What we need is for riders to approach the junction expecting to stop rather than maintaining speed hoping to get a positive nod.

Just wanted to say that we have the IC25 coming up and last year I marshalled at the turn onto the A1168. There were riders that did not slow down and some moved out onto the RH carriageway to maintain warp speed through the junction - it was hazardous. I reported two numbers (not CCA riders) at the HQ afterwards but not sure there was any follow up? Suggest we need to look at how we promote better rider behaviour at all the events we organise.
  • Jeremy is bang on. The marshal is only there to be visible and show direction. We have all done the waving through thing including me but i think we shouldnt. ....."what we need is for riders to approach the junction expecting to stop rather than maintaining speed hoping to get a positive nod"...thats pretty much it in a nutshell.
    Naming and shaming is fine and has been done and will be done, words have been had, but different marshals have different feelings about telling off people who are often your mates. It is tricky.
    Far better for everyone to take a bit of pride in their craft, it doesnt matter how fast or slow you are if you are dangerous you're a chopper!