Welcome to the forum

Evening Chain Gang

edited March 2010 in Chain gangs
Anyone interested in joining a Tuesday evening chain gang to start this spring, when we do not need lights until 8.30pm.
This would be targeted towards the racers and would be racers looking to develop their speed and group riding skills.
It would be ideal to be leaving by 7.15pm and we would need a couple of decent routes with clear roads and not too much traffic.
The plan would be steady through and off, building up but never getting jumpy, until perhaps the last run-in home.

Please respond so we know who is interested.

There will probably be club considerations such as a nominal payment (£1) to support the club and signing of a register for appropriate insurances. This needs to be sorted out with the committee in due course. Perhaps for this sort of reason it may help to meet at someone's house so we can leave a register book and pen in a box etc etc.

Also those who have ridden a chain gang respond so we know who can best organise this. Trahern and Carmelo know the score for sure though I recall Tuesdays are not good for Carmelo.

I would suggest we are riding in a group at 20-25mph for this type of ride for 1.5 hours, some re-grouping on the drags but this particular ride is not for the tourists out there.

I propose Tuesday as it could tie into the other club evening events (circuits) and hopefully does not clash with the Milton Keynes bowl and other evening events such as the Wednesday time-trial.

I stress this is a fast training ride and not a burn up, intended to develop speed and strength.

Over to you ladies and gents to see if we have interest and feel free to refine any of the proposal above to best suite all.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Hi,

I'm interested and Tuesdays should be ok for me. Not that I'm going to be racing this summer but the exercise would do me good!

Insurance wise, a register would not be needed. This would only apply if it was a coached session, lets keep things informal. It's probably best if the etiquette was established beforehand rather than someone giving instructions during the ride so everyone can focus on their riding. We should probably use a set circuit each week so riders who are late can join enroute. Laps of 5 - 8 miles should do the trick. The Wrestlingworth, Cockayne Hatley, Potton and back loop would work and this could be extended to Sutton and Eyeworth if boredom sets in. Once completed, warm down back through Guilden Morden for those going back to Ashwell. Hilly enough without being a killer and fairly quiet

Mark.

Mark.
  • good idea Vincent..........just to clarify and not get wires crossed........is it your intention to start these when cross-fit on Tuesdays at the school possibly end i.e. end of April???

I thought that was the general drift of your earlier blog.

You also proposed that others should start to do a "club" type evening ride on Tuesdays as well to build on the ethos of a "weekly club night" thing and that a youth group might consider doing some rides.

cheers
    Geoff
  • Like the idea. All about the time getting back from London. 7.30pm is just about do-able.
  • Great idea, the final circuit training session of the year will be 27 April, one week before the first 10 Mile TT and meant to coincide with being able to ride in the evening without lights.
  • I was wondering if it might be worthwhile forming a sibling intermediate chain gang for those who might be a little intimdated by the advertised speed of the racer group (such as fat old retired beer-loving guys like me!).

I propose one solid hour, riding at about 19-20 mph, with a focus on learning how to ride hard and fast in a double chain gang. It would be for those who want to learn to ride in formation at speed. No attacking, no nonesense, just a good hard formation ride as a skills building session -- best thought of as a stepping stone into faster riding. It might would also suit some up and coming youth/juniors who can ride that fast. I would further propose that a coach will be in attendance to instruct and mentor the ride throughout, perhaps Geoff, me or other(s), just to keep it sane and focused on skills, but still push people along a bit.

Any support for something like that?
  • sounds just fine Andrew.some thoughts....cannot officialy coach on the road..insurance .so would be a club session with experienced riders giving the lead and pacing so others could learn and follow example.
    second....think speed a little ambitious for thew hour so suggest 17-18 for starter adults and 15-16 for youth...see how it goes...just learning to pace , keep distance close and NOT push speed up when going through takes a lot of learning...evenly matched ridrs works best and optimum size is 6-8 people I have found on other trials.
    third...with under 18's there must be a CRB adult....hopefully I'll be back fit by end April/May, but no guarantees
  • Good points all Geoff, thanks! Hopefully I can get my CRB organised by then, sorry that work kept me away last Thursday, but I have the form etc. all filled out ready to go.

We're talking about two different things I think. What you're talking about is a beginner session, I was proposing an "intermediate" one. i'm happy to help out on an intermediate one if you want to take the beginner one. Makes sense if we're talking about 6-8 riders max.

Speaking of paceline perfection ... watch this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5CfRsmtQ44&feature=related

Andrew
  • I am up for the intermediate Tuesday chain gang! When do you intend starting?

Chris
  • We'll start up first week in May, same as when the TT starts and the Tuesday training stops.
  • I'm up for an intermediate Tuesday chain gang, as long as it doesn't leave me to cream-crackered to cope with the Wednesday ride the morning after. I guess there's only one way to find out - give it a go.

Vic
  • Would be good for someone
    to organise details
    can then mention at the AGM etc

I suspect a few up for some speed training
    quick ( nasty ) / intermediate / beginner
    who wants to take the lead to organise ?
    which committee member to discuss ?

sounds like 7.30pm start from first week in May ?

what about the mordens triangle
    so everyone knows where it is / can get back on / come when ready ?

James
  • It's a;lready effectively sorted if you read back james......good idea to raise at AGM..I'll do it if you like......Vincent/Mark/Andrew/Myself/Trahern are the key people .....we can decide on uptake as to which rides will work best...definitely a suck it and see...it will evolve as with all our club activities...i suspect the medium and beginner will be more needed as the fast one takes some skill,and stamina to maintain at a constant.
    my feeling is our club could benefit from learning to ride this way. It is being able to hold it steady that will take the time.
  • edited April 2010
    James. That is a good idea. So if you're a tad late you can join in. Many ways of doing this. tbd.
  • I would like to do the intermediate....thanks...!
  • V. interested in joining this.
  • should be good! where and what time?
  • until my knee is right I won't be on any ride pushing too hard...HOWEVER..to move this on can I make some suggestions.....start time..always difficult since most have jobs and getting back is difficult.....how about 7.30pm............location.......Ashwell garage/Cemetry area............Route.......out to steeple morden...right to Littlington, through to Bassingbourn,left at 1st junction by war memorial......then either straight to Shingay/Steeple road and left, left into Steeple and repeat loop....OR shorter route...left into Abbington Piggots then left at Littlington church and repeat loop............Either route is all lefts and both offer relatively quiet long stretches to develop through and off and chaingang skills.

All rides whether fast medium or starter could use the same routes thus giving everyone an opportunity to switch between groups as they feel strong or weak and everyone would know where to go to get a ride........

Just some thoughts for consideration.....Start Date.....it was proposed to start these next Tuesday 4th May........

Over to you all......I am already doing something like this on my Sunday rides and propose to develop these for youth on these Tuesdays......I don't intend pushing my rides at present beyond 16mph as I feel it important to learn the disciplines first before pushing speed....learning to ride and matching speeds is critical...when you've got that the pace can lift...

Good luck everyone..hope this becomes yet another CCA success story.
  • brill. C U Next Tuesday then!!
  • SO............all those above starting around 7.30pm from Ashwell....on the loops I suggested and settling into the groups which suit their objectives........see you all Tuesday evening...weather permitting
  • so 3 groups /
    fast / medium / starter
    any volunteers for each group ?
    good to make it clear
    I think a few talking about turning up

James
  • dunno James..see who turns up and ride
  • Glad to see you have all got organised. Some suggestions
    Firstly see you all for a depart no later than 7.30pm (no hanging about as light is precious).
    Please can people bring lights as the light will be fading by the end of the ride and it could even be dark for the next week or two especially if we are leaving so late, hence why 7pm really is a sensible time for these rides. I suggest no faffing and groups leave as soon as they are organised so get there as early as you can.

Presumably usual weekend meeting point by the cemetery and if anyone fancies a post ride shandy in the Tuns we can have a review of how it went (Bring warm clothes for ride home- or car).

Everyone needs to be clear as to their level and if unsure go with a slower group initially.

The route we are planning may not be ideal for big groups so smaller groups is probably best (8 riders wanting to push themselves). We may need a longer route but for now let's try the short loop heading out to Steeples, through Littlington, turning left at the entrance to Bassingbourne and left onto the Wendy road, left into Steeple Morden and back to Littlington. So if you are late head out and ride the opposite way, through steeple and right onto the wendy road and hang about on that road.

Might be a bit chilly tomorrow but you will be working up a sweat.

Tips of the trade:
    Care at junctions, shout out potholes, respect highway code and traffic, keep tight and close, remember to ease off once you have gone to the front as the slower line is going slower for a reason, no sudden braking or changes in pace, keep tight and follow round on corners. If you get dropped sprint like crazy and get back on. If you have to miss a turn shout last to the person ahead when it is their time to go through as they will be expecting you to go through. If you get dropped or puncture (fix puncture yourself), wait for next group or go the opposite way but give yourself lots of time and expect a sprint as soon as the group comes round again.

Number of laps? have to gauge light. Probably able to ride for 1hour or so but if we leave earlier may be 1.5hours which is preferable.

hope this is a bit of an introduction to through and off. Enjoy.

Vincent
  • Starter group went well last week........this week....suggest we all start earlier as the light went.....I will start the slower group at 7.00pm from the cemetery.......same route as last week so those coming later make your way to the course..head for Littlington and start cycling to Bassingbourn.....

happy cycling everyone