Welcome to the forum

MTB for cross - am I mad?

edited July 2017 in General
I have bought one, thanks for the advice

Comments

• edited July 2017
    You can certainly use an MTB to thrash around a CX race for an hour and get a good workout. As for competing around the front of a race - that is a completely different matter (on any bike!). I did my first season of CX last year and it was a big learning curve.

Suggest that you try to borrow a bike (CX or MTB) and get along to some of the evening training sessions that the club does. Chatting to one of the club coaches is a good place to start.
  • Yep: technique and bike handling really makes the difference, I think, in terms of getting up the grid.

The bike helps of course, and there's loads of CX bikes popping up for sale on the Eastern Cross etc forums that seem like bargains. I got an old Giant for £250.

'Racing at the back with the choppers'... CX races don't really work like that. They quickly seem to string out with lots of mini-battles through the ranks. Which is part of the appeal.
  • Okay thanks very much, guys! Thanks for the perspective Martin, got you!

• The choppers are everywhere but probably more up the front than the back - some seriously good guys in the senior race but if you want to get nearer the front you will need a CX bike (at least 2 sets of wheels or a pit crew when it's muddy - not trying to put you off) Personal preference is to go for disc brakes as well - canti's are truly rubbish on some courses in the mud - you just don't stop! but it is great fun and you will get hooked plus really friendly Eastern league.
    Jackie
  • Thanks Jackie!

Good advice! I've bought a MTB in the end. I kind of have a cx bike anyway, thanks very much to Shelton. But I just much prefer squishy mtb with outrageous brakes and their general 'flat out downhill' manners.

Really looking forward to spending the time at the league. I'm looking at the calendar now. This has been a want for so long! Then summer mtb series next year is looking very likely too (thanks travis for showing me this).

Also going to start jumping on the baldock thurs evening MTB group again, MC does it I think.

Genuinely looking forward to cross sessions. I have wednesday evenings free this year.

Super pumped for all this. Finally can make it happen.

It's all just for the fun!!! But I plan to be as highly competitive as I can get my body.