Welcome to the forum

Grass track 13th August - Sele School, Hertford.

Anyone signing up for grass track on 13th August?

Comments

• Yes I have entered. I will also be going on the 6th.
  • OK, I'm in. Whats happening on the 6th?
  • I'm in for both
  • edited August 2017
    This is a long one but there were quite a few races on the day… Myself, Richard and Ellie were representing CCA at the Green Arrow grass track event on Sunday. The day started with 800m sprints with the 1st two riders from each heat going through to the semi. I came in fourth in my heat so had to do it all again in the repechage. I was launched off the line with a massive push and found myself at the front. I decided to keep it steady and hope no one would go charging through, 1st lap complete and I’m still in the lead. I decide to sprint at the 1st bend, it had a nasty ditch and lots of riders were struggling (myself included) with the entrance into the 2nd bend. I’m working hard but look back and surprised to see I have a gap but then out of nowhere Mitchy’s team mate Ian is on my shoulder but it’s the top 2 through to the semi so need to panic. The effort has cost me though, I feel really sick and my legs have turned to jelly. Now on to the semi and I’m hanging on but this group is too strong, after a 1 ½ laps the riders are gone and I roll in last but then I find out that I have to race 800m again but now in the minor final. It’s a fast start and before I know it I’m in fourth place and some way behind 3rd with a lap to go. Ian is on my shoulder and we are flying across the top of the track, I hold him on the outside for the 3rd and 4th bend and we find ourselves catching 3rd place, it’s an all-out effort to the line but Ian was just too strong and takes me on the line. I think it was the 8k race next and my goal for this race is just to finish. 20 laps on grass is hard work and after 3 or 4 laps the pack is split and I’m in the 2nd group with 5 other riders including Richard. One rider is doing all the work and we stay in line but then he makes a push with about 10 to go, I go with him and its just the 2 of us, he’s still doing all the work and that’s fine with me, I keep his wheel for a few laps but can’t keep the pace up and I’m now on my own. Richard catches me up with 1 other rider and I tuck in. With about 5 to go Richard pushes on, I go with him and we drop the other rider but I’m not willing or able to do any work. Coming into the last corner we are both sprinting for the line and cross together. Onto the Elimination race next, as usual I’m at the back but with a new tactic of being on the inside of the track, at first it Seems like a mistake as there’s nowhere to go but as the bunch sprints for the line a big gap opens in front of me and I pass through safely, I manage this same tactic for a few more laps but the constant sprinting for the line finally takes its toll and I roll off the back. Onto the points race and pre-race I discuss with Mitchy about going hard for the first 2 laps but I wasn’t the only one with that idea and a rider far stronger than me makes a break for it. Mitchy goes with him and cleans up all the points. A very impressive ride from him. Next up is the Italian pursuit, I’m approached by some youth riders asking me to join their team, they obviously hadn’t been paying attention to any races I was involved in. The set-up is half a lap each and I’m third up, I massively under estimated the strength of the 2 youth riders and they went flying off but I manage to get the wheel. We finish in 3rd place and with a cash prize. Final race of the day for me is the consolation race, It’s a handicapped 400m sprint. I’m set off in third place with Ian right behind me. He catches me quickly and we are side by side as we hit the 3rd and 4th bend, I don’t want to give this one up and I’m making him work, we are on to straight now and its neck and neck, I’m screaming out and give everything I have, we get to the line and Ian lunges his bike forward I see this and try to do the same but I forget to keep pedalling, the bike throws my legs round and I’m just glad I didn’t go over the top. Some lessons learnt for next time!

Mitchy took the honours in Omnium and I think Richard walked off with a prize. Ellie won every race in the youth event apart from the handicap but the gap was so large she did well just to catch the riders in front.

A really good day out and definitely one for the calendar next year.
  • Exciting stuff Dan. Perfect lunchtime reading; I nearly dropped my fruit salad.

It sounds like you're getting better and better. Well done Richard, Ellie and Mitchy too.

I'm loving all the reports of what everyone is doing.
  • great write up and pics Dan, good racing from both you and richard! Classic day of grass track with the sun out!!